ram air induction box

Anyone ever made one of these? i know it would be easier to just get a hood scoop but id hate to mar that super sexxy stretch hood to do this. If possible id like to create some kind of air scoop which could be mounted under the front bumper. Any input would be most welcomed.

wow, that is pretty neat wallaby, what did you use to fit over the air cleaner? i.e. the houseing of the box? fabricating the scoop will be easy but creating a box to fit over the air cleaner is going to be a bit tougher...

I started out with a cheap 14" open air cleaner assy, and I expanded the diameter of the base so I could enclose it with sides later, and then I lowered the base as close to the engine as I could so I had room for filters.(that was the hardest part) Mine has a flat spot in the back to give clearance for the distributor. I have the inlet tube go thru the plastic inner fender and it ends below the battery tray area behind the bumper. The entire assy is fashioned from .045 aluminum and hammered rivets.

I wasn't after any ram-air effect, I just wanted air that was cooler than the underhood stuff that has been pre-heated by the radiator. Mostly it was an effort to reduce pinging on hot days. (it did) I have the inlet high enough and shielded by the bumper that debris aren't a problem. I can't say I really notice any seat-of-the-pants performance difference, but the closed filter with remote intake are super quiet. I don't hear the secondaries opening at all anymore.