spacing question

Hey all. Just wanted to say this is an amazing site and i have gained much information about FGMC's. Anyway im workin on restoring a 1970 monte carlo after my 94 camaro z28 was wrecked (old lady through a red light). My question is how much spacing if any is there between the radiator core support and the frame. I know there are some bushings along with some spacers. I bought a new core support but should the core support be slightly above the frame so it doesnt rub. Or should it be all the way down on the frame. I would appriciate any help. Thank you

MTDZ28, Suspect core support when correctly installed with bushings doesn't come in contact with frame. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4/10bolt, Branson participant

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 Project Darkest of Dark Green Metallics/GenIII346LS1/4L65E/12bolt posi

71Monte-1.jpg

The body bushings that hold that core support up are about 1 1/2" inches tall. I'm guessing, but I recall they were tall and I had a heck of a time getting them in there.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wallaby:
The body bushings that hold that core support up are about 1 1/2" inches tall. I'm guessing, but I recall they were tall and I had a heck of a time getting them in there.</font>

If yours are 1.5" tall, you may have the wrong bushing. If I recall correctly the piece between the frame and core support is about 1" tall with another piece going on top and another going inside the frame. They can be bought new as a kit.

OK, they are 1". I was guessing. With that weird spacer/sleeve that runs through the center, you need a bunch more space than that to get them in. I thought I could just push them in from the side and drop the bolt through, but it is a little more involved than that.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wallaby:
OK, they are 1". I was guessing. With that weird spacer/sleeve that runs through the center, you need a bunch more space than that to get them in. I thought I could just push them in from the side and drop the bolt through, but it is a little more involved than that.</font>

If you remove all connection of the core support to the frame, you can jack the car up at the firewall and the core will separate from the frame for easy bushing installation. Also, watch the bumper as it will make contact with that front piece(?).