700 r4

lastss

will a 700 r4 tranny fit my 71 monte bbc its from a 98 z28 lt1 motor anything I should look for on tranny?? anyone have the codes to look for?? Thanks Bob

I have the 700E4 in my small block 72 and if memory serves me well enough I think it will think it will, think it will. Now what was the question again. LOL LOL LOL.

Bob I don't see why it would not fit the bellhousing for a small block is the same as a big block, so its just a matter of unbolting the current trans and bolt in the new one. The only issue I would see if how well the 700r4 is was it built was pulled from a running car. I see you say its from a 98 z28 by any chance you sure its not a 4l60e?

My mistake its from a 94 z 28 LT1 has a total of 200k on it & rebuilt 5k ago but can't trust that. would need to be rebuilt or ck at a tranny shop before I go though all the labor to switch.

• 1 month later...

Been there, done that with three different 700R4 trannies. To answer your question, yes it will fit. It doesn't matter who rebuilt it, or how long ago the problem lies in the fact that a 700R4 with stock strength internals can only stand up to 300HP max. There are lots of high strength aftermarket parts out there for your tanny, but they cost. The sunshell is the weakest link and as a minimum you need one called the beast(that will get you to around 500HP). There are ones that are stonger, but they cost more money. A properly prepared 700R4 that will stand up to a maximum of 700 pound foot of torque(that's pushing it) will cost you at least $2K and that doesn't include the torque converter. I don't car what anyone says power costs money period and you can pay now, or pay later after you have blown through a virtually stock tranny at least once. Best thing to do is to get with a local builder who has extensive experience in building performance/race 700R4 transmissions. Anything else is a waste of time. You could just keep what you have as a backup and purchase a already built unit from someone like Gearstar, or PATC that have solid reputations in building hard core 700's. Another option is to for go the 700 and go straight to a 4L80(think turbo 400 with an overdrive). If you require automatic shifts you will have to buy the electronic control module. A 4L80 is expensive, but like a turbo 400 it is brutally strong right out of the box to the tune of around 900HP stock. The three 700's I had were one that was a little stonger than stock behind a 475HP 383 stroker. Second was behind a 575HP 489BB that was even stronger and the final one was behind a 650HP 489BB that had the strongest parts on the planet at the time along with a $700.00 torque converter. I only switched to a turbo 400 because I thought I was going racing and after 40+ dyno thrashings I started to get a little concerned. Hope this helps.