What rear lube should I use?

domonte

I bought a Detroit Tru Trac differential for my 12 bolt rear and 3.08 richmond gears; Richmond says nothing but synthetic oil for their gears and Eaton(Detroit) says no synthetic oil for the diff'. frankly I don't know what to do. Has anyone else ever had an issue like this? what should I do?

Thanks-Adam

P.S. My brother says to use what he calls "magic pot" and go through the nearest salvage yard draining all the rear ends, mix it up and just use that.... I'm not doing that.

sick

I have an eaton tru trac with Motive 3.73 gears. I run Valvoline 80w-90 conventional gear oil. Plenty of miles and passes down the track. No issues. I have run richmonds in the past on conventional oil without any problems.

David

A friend worked for Eaton and recommended the Tru Trac for the posit unit. He said conventional only and NO POSI additive. Acts like sand in the Tru Trac. Been in the car for 3 years and 10,000 miles and no issues.

Yeah. Had the same issue. I put an Eaton posi carrier in w/ Richmond Gears. I bought a Richmond installation kit that came with synthetic oil (plus additive) so that's what I used. After the fact, I find a piece of paper that came with the carrier that said not to use synthetic oil. I've only driven it maybe 200 miles since so no tellin' if there's any issues. I'm gonna change it back to regular oil anyways. I want to point my eyeballs in the direction of that open housing just to make sure everything is OK. That's a job I wouldn't mind not doing again.

You will get lots of opinions from folks and manufactures will tell you to use this, but don't use that, so who do you trust? I rely on folks that have been building and rebuilding rearends for both the track and the street for many years. Two guys I trust say they have never had any issues with synthetic gear lube and todays high dollar synthetics already have the friction modifier already in it. I bought into the conventional oil only when I had my rearensd put together due to the guy who built my custom carrier kept banging it home to use only Lucas conventional oil. Since getting my axle seals fixed for hopefully the last time I've switched to Royal Purple and I don't anticipate ever having any issues with my rearend. Just my $0.2