which air compressor to buy

keith72monte

Hey everyone. Just wondering what everyone with air conditioning have done when replacing the air compressor.I have looked at buying a new replacment, ac delco only has rebuilt ones on the market. Original ac delco is part 15-2227 for the monte.I see there are other numbers that would interchange, like 15-2225 but neither is that one avalable. i see a replacment #15-22255 that looks differnt in appearance. I would like a new compressor,but looks like a ac delco is gonna be a remanufactured #15-21681. Maybe i should go with a 4 seasons new for $373. what is the answer to wanting to buy a new compressor. Doesnt have to be oem perfect, but i would like it to look the same as oem.Been surfing online for a week, Ebay seller said they had the right numbered ac delco, but it came in wrong of course. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.I have 4 cans of r-12 to charge my system, so i,m gonna go r-12 and all oem setup. Just missing the replacement compressor and hoses to make it complete. Anyone have a good answer ???

My compressor had the high temp fuse/switch so I had to get the correct compressor for that. I had a hard time finding one of those. I got a rebuilt one at NAPA. The first one had a frozen clutch the second one had bad vanes in the compressor the third one worked like a charm. Also replaced the dryer twice during my trial and tribulations. I did the first two installs myself and the third had the pros do it that may be just the difference. Also on the third try I bought replacement the condenser core. The header for the core support had to come off and the piece behind the bumper had to come off. Sure am glad the pros did the last one. If I had it to do over I would have them do it all the first time and saved myself some money and a lot of time in the end. The system needs to be flushed if it has been open for a very long period of time. Mine was opened for over ten years and the pros took it apart piece by piece and flushed it thoroughly.