vacuum lines

ejw71

Coming out of the firewall, a few inches to the northeast of the A/C suitcase is a vacuum line. To what does it attach? Behind carb is a manifold fitting that has provision for two vacuum lines. One is from the trans, the other is for? To what does the vacuum line from the gold colored coolant shut off switch, located on front right of intake manifold, connect to? Thanks, Ed

The line coming out of the firewall goes to the intake manfold fitting, this line serves the AC/heat door operations. Someone else will have to diagnose the other question. Sorry, I misread your post. The water shutoff valve on the manifold gets it's vacuum from... this is a question I have been trying to get an answer to myself. No one on this forum seems to know the correct answer. Late 71's are differant than earlier models in this way. Maybe someone with a 71 Assembly manual can shed a little light on this subject.

Hey:

The books that I have show two vac lines coming out of the firewall, the black one goes to manifold vac at the fitting behind the carb and the white line goes to the water valve.

Since you see only one line coming thru, you may have to remove the radio to see this, look under the dash at the AC control for a line that goes from the three fitting vac switch to the multiple fitting vac switch. There should be a tee in that line that goes thru the firewall, this is the vac line that goes to the intake. Look at the three fitting vac switch, the middle fitting should have a vac line with a white tracer. This line should also go thru the firewall to the water valve. Maybe it goes thru in a different place?

I had a 71 SS and it only had one line, if memory serves, and I do not remember what fed the water valve. However all of the books that I have still show two lines as above. Go figure.

Hope this helps

Ed

Ed, Car in question is a '71 SS. It has one line coming thru firewall. My other '71, non-SS, has two lines and attach as you explained. So, I'll attach the one line, SS car, to fitting behind carb. Is this line composed of a rubber and a steel tubing section?. Will, for now, not connect coolant valve. Maybe someone else will have the solution.

1badMC, Will check the assembly manual. Tks to all. Ed