power windows and door locks

monte70car

Maybe some of you who have installed the factory power windows and door locks know(memory is shot as my was done in the late 90's). Does the door locks and power windows have their own power supply or do they use the same one, as you can see in the picture wiring002-1.jpg the orange wire has a ring terminal on it which connected to a 30 amp circuit breaker which got power from horn relay. On the other end of the wire is a regular plug end going to a three way connection block with three single orange wires plugged into.

Bob, what you are describing sounds like the master power splitter. Its function is to supply fused power to PW, PDL and/or Power seats. Have you traced where the three orange lines go that are currently plugged into the splitter?

As you probably know, you still have to plug the trigger wire for your PW relay into either the BAT or IGN port on your fuse panel or power will never get to your regulators because the relay will never get picked. Plugging into the BAT port will allow your PWs to operate without the ignition "ON" which may be convenient but can also be a security exposure.

When I added PW and PDL to my 4-speed car, I discovered that the factory harness did not have a master power lug, breaker or splitter (probably because the car was ordered/built without any power options). So, I ran a new power line (orange wire equivalent) directly from a battery tap to a small expansion fuse block under the dash because I wanted to have separate 30A fuses/circuit breakers for both PW and PDL.

If your new harness has a power splitter and you have a 30A circuit breaker in path to the horn relay, you should be able to power both windows and door locks off that line through the splitter.

Dennis thanks, my power windows and door locks came off another 70 and we took everything from it the circuit breaker on the fire wall which was a 30 amp breaker. The new harness has single power feeds for the windows and doors so I just have to make sure I get the right wires and put them in the correct spot on the new harness. I did not get a picture of the stock splitter because I was unsure if it was used original or not.I did replace my power window relay a few years back and I found if you take a piece of cardboard and put in the points connection you can use the windows with no need of the key. The next time I can get out to the car is this Saturday as I have more time to mess with it.I was hoping for a wire diagram which I'm sure Darren will post when he see this lol

Robert, I just sent you three emails with photos of the individual pages of my Wiring Diagram attached. I assume that is what you were wanting/needing.