It's time to upgrade my engine!!

1972mc

Hi Guys- I have decided to pull my engine for a number of reasons:

1. Dinged something a couple of years ago while playing with timing causing a very loud bang upon startup that caused my compresion in #7 to be something like 80 whereas all other cylinders were in the 140-150 range. I have not performed leak down test but am eyeing a tester on amazon.

2. Rear main leaks

3. hate the cam, it has no low end grunt. Cheap grind to achieve high HP reading on their dyno. 404 tq/400hp. If it ever achieved 1/2 that I would be surprised.

My main objective besides fixing item #1, is to swap the cam for something milder. I rarely take it to the strip and it just doesn't cruise around town very well ie: really rough idle, no brakes, no low end torque.

Please make recommendations based upon what I have said. I still want to be able to race it. Have always believed I could drop way down on the cam and still achieve better 1/8 mile times. Best was 8.6 at something like 80-82mph. Have records (somewhere) where I recorded all the timing, jetting,accel cam,pv,plug type, accel nozzle, dist spring setup but not sure if it's most current

Look at signature for details on my setup.

think the converter is just above stock stall

FYI engine is Blueprint engine (marshall eng)

vortec heads 2.02 in/1.60 ex

cam 234/244 .487/.508

110 deg

9.5-1 comp

Thanks,

Carl

Hi Mike- it's a flat tappet. Would like to replace with same as I'm trying to keep the budget low. Am a big believer in ZDDP as the inventor is a friend of mine in the Buick Grand National community.

Carl

Carl,

It is hard to toss numbers out there, I would call some cam guys, Bullet, Chris Straub, and others see what they have to say. Keep in mind, cam specs can be exactly the same but lobe profile can be totally different.