New washer pump issue

Joker_USAF

Fellas, looking for some help. Some of you may have seen my Facebook post a few weeks ago concerning getting my 72 Monte through the German inspection. One of the items I failed was the lack of a working washer pump. I have since purchased the pump and installed it yesterday. It worked beautifully the first time I pressed the switch in to get the fluid. Then I noticed that it continued to spray my windshield. It will only stop when I turn the wipers off. Now when I turn them on, it starts spraying again immediately.

I took the dust cover off and tried it without...same thing. I took the two prong wire connector off of the pump...same thing.

Any ideas as to what is causing the continual shower?

First place I woud look is the brass strip that is just above the motor. Make sure it's there and not tucked under the washer assembly. It should be clean and have a mounting bolt through it and the washer assembly. Easy to get it under the washer when putting a new one on.

Well I figured I would make sure to update this thread so that we could have the info for historical reference. I figured out what was causing the pump to keep squirting. The picture below is the original that I removed. The mechanics work but the pump itself won't hold pressure and so won't suck the fluid from the bottle. The new one worked fine but wouldn't stop spraying.

I have fixed it temporarily until I get figure out a permanent solution. Brief summary on how it works: Latch #1 slides back and forth with slide #3 while the wipers are moving. When #1 slides forward it grabs a tooth (circled left) in the wheel and pulls it back. It will continue to do this unless latch #2 gets underneath as it shown in the picture. Now #2 will only be underneath when it reaches the cut out on the side of the wheel (circled center). When it is in this "resting" position, slide #3 will continue to move back and forth but #1 cannot grab a tooth and so the pump will not spray.

When you press the wiper switch inside for fluid, it activates the magnet (copper wire) which pulls #1 upward allowing #2 to grab a tooth to start turning the wheel which activates the pump. The wheel will make one rotation until it reaches the cut out (center circle) which will drop #1 back down causing #2 to slide over it. This disengages the wheel and the pump goes back to "rest".

Washer_Pump.jpg

My issue on the new one is that when it comes back around, #1 doesn't drop far/fast enough and so it gets pulled back up to the magnet causing the whole cycle to continue again. I can pull it out of the way myself while it is running to stop it.

Just figured I would give to this group while I can since I am pretty sure I will spend most of my time taking info.

Rob - btw, I passed the German inspection this week. yay