VIN on transmission

ejw71

My '70 has it on the firewall behind the blower motor, it was built in calf., anywhere else to look?

Sam

VIN: Dash, upper drivers side.

Partial VIN: Firewall, under lower lip of the heater box.

Partial VIN: Firewall, under the hole for blower motor.

Partial VIN: Frame, drivers side, on top of the rear rail beside the fuel tank (body off)

Partial VIN: Frame, passengers side, on the outside of the front frame rail, visible inside front wheel well. (Note: I've only seen evidence of this on one car -- a '70 Kansas City-built El Camino)

Partial VIN: Engine -- See the Mortec website for more info.

Partial VIN: Trans -- as discussed earlier in this thread.

Biggest thing to remember is that there are variations on CON VINs, as to what you may (or may not) find on your car, and the locations. It all depends on the assembly plant, and I don't have specific details on every plant for every year. laugh

Here's a shot of CON VINs on a '68 Chevelle firewall. Since it's a '68, the GM division number is absent as that didn't start until '69. Also, the picture isn't upside-down -- the CON VIN is, and this is normal:

a>

• 2 months later...

Just peeking in on the thread here. If I'm understanding this correctly, the partial VIN on the body tag under the hood should match the VIN under the windshield, correct? Also, where on the tranny is the partial VIN stamped? Thanks for any help.

Hi John, Found VIN on trans case. If I remember correctly it was located on the dust shield surface at front of trans. Ed

Alright, thanks. I'll have to check mine tommorrow after I get off of work. I'll be checking that firewall VIN out under the A/C real soon as well. Hope it all matches! smile