Air tank color

ejw71

Need to know color of driver side inner fender mounted air tank. Previous owner painted many under hood items black. Air tank mounts are black and I think tank is aluminum/silver in color? Correct? Thanks, Ed

I've seen them three ways, Ed. Grey (aluminum/silver), black, and with a gold-like finish. If I remember right, it seems like someone piped up about the compressor tanks on the boards here a long time ago and said that they were supplied to GM by a couple of different manufacturers, and that could explain the different colors/finishes. The one in my '70 is grey, and I believe it to be original to the car. There is a little bit of blue overspray on it from when the car was repainted, and I believe that to have been done about a year before I bought it, which was in early '86.

On most of the black and white underhood photos I see of original road tests from '69/'70 of '70 SS454 cars the tanks appear grey as well, but like I mentioned - I've seen them three ways!

Maybe there were more of the black and the gold tanks in the '71s? Hmmmmmmmmmm.... confused

Dave

Tks to Bob & Dave. Plan to remove the black paint and then may be able to determine original color. Checked search and got more info. Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Tim. Looks like several colors were possible for 70/71. This one was painted black. Will attempt to determine original color. Ed