1971 Monte SS Cruise Control

gprimm

While at the NASCAR Joliet Fanfest Car Show on July 7 (Thursday) I was showing my two Montes and the Z28 and I noticed a dark green 1971 Monte SS. I noticed the cruise control system on the car as I walked by. There was also the original type small window sticker that showed the cruise control on the sticker. Now I have always heard that you could not get cruise on the car, and I have never before seen cruise on a 1st Gen SS. Yet, it the window sticker shows it was there. I know they did weird things at the factory. Another mystery / learning experience.

Did you notice if it had the air cylinder for the rear air shocks. From what I have always read the cruise was not available on the SS because the cruise control assembly mounts in the same area as the air canister. Did you inspect the car throughly to see if it had the boxed rear control arms and shock protector plates. It would be my guess it is not a true SS but without documentation who knows.

Rob

Rob. It was twilight at the time and I did not check under the car, but the window sticker was there. I'd like to see the build sheet, if there is one. I am sure I'll see the car around more in the area. It did have the air leveling tank. I want to talk to the owner and look at the car more closely. It was just odd seeing it; I don't know of a SS owner who has even "mocked" one up. You know, like the "SS" cars with the "SS" grille emblem and things like that. The window sticker looked original.

One of our members (David?) has a '70 or '71 SS454 with cruise control. His father purchased the car new having the dealer install cruise control. Ed