Alternator Wiring with Internal Regulator

OhMonte

Good morning!

I recently purchased a 100 amp alternator at Spring Carlisle. I am going to do the switch from external to internal voltage regulator.

The problem is the alternator has the #1 and #2 terminals marked, but the R and F designations seem to be reversed (based on a lot of the blogs I've seen regarding wiring up the new alternator...)

Most state the the #1 lead is the field, and the #2 lead is the relay (sense). On this alternator I purchased, the #1 is marked "R" and the #2 is marked "F".

So which is it? When I purchased the nice $2 GM alternator plug at PepBoys to slide right onto those leads, the red wire goes to the "F" lead on the unit. (It only goes in one way so I can't reverse it)

Anyway, see picture below. Any info would be great. I can't find the business card of the company I bought it from. (Murphy's Law applied)

null_zpse7df17fb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Just did a 94 amp 12 si conversion on my 72. Used a kit made by M&H Automotive Electrical. Super easy, plug and play (no splicing). Gen light works as well. Just going to upgrade the batt wire that goes from the alt to the horn relay from 10 ga to 8 ga. Unless I'm totally off the R and F markings are correct.

External Regulated Alternator to Internal Regulated Alternator

Conversion Kit for 1963 to 1972 GM Cars and Trucks

If the harnesses in your car are in good shape, but you would like to get rid of your external regulated alternator and install an internal regulated alternator this kits for you. Easy to install: 1) Disconnect your external voltage regulator leads and plug in our "Special Regulator Adapter" to the regulator lead wires. 2) Disconnect your alternator lead wires. 3) Install new GM internal regulated alternator. 4) Plug in our "Special Alternator Adapter" to the alternator lead wires. That's really how simple it is. Part # 27555. Price $21.00. Includes both adapters and instruction sheet. We also offer free technical support if you can't figure it out.

David

Thanks! I've seen those conversion kits and I may go that route. I'm installing this Friday before heading out to Carlisle. My old alternator sounds like a Cuisinart.

The 12 si is really a great upgrade. No flicker lights at idle, electric fuel pump stays at a constant speed and the voltage at the batt stays right at 14.2 volts with all lights and heater blower motor running. This was taken with the engine at operating temp ( drove around for about a half hour)

Y'all have a great time at the E meet. I will make it one day!

David