Help me identify my rear-end

Shnalla

Hey buddies !

I need help identifying the rear-end of my 72 Monte.

I ordered I new pinion seal but it doesn't fit at all...

I just know it's 10 bolts...

CIMG0636.jpg

CIMG0639.jpg

What's your opinion ?

Hey Romain, The 3969277 number is the Factory GM Part number for the rear axle and the other numbers you have shown are standard Casting numbers also used. the only other numbers you may find are on the axle tubes but that will only help with the year identification and plant. you may need to order one for a standard 8.5 inch 10 bolt rear end with either 273 or 308 gears in it and that should work or if you want a maybe better vehicle to search under ask for the part number for the same rear end but say its for a 1972 Chevelle they have the same rear ends... hope that helps...

Darren.

The Factory GM part number is 1242068 if that helps and an aftermarket name brand is National and a possible part number on that is an 8060.

Thank you Darren, yes your answer helps a lot !!!

I ordered my pinion seal at Rockauto and I guess they made a mistake... I will contact them and ask for a 8,5" GM pinion seal .

The Factory GM part number is 1242068 if that helps and an aftermarket name brand is National and a possible part number on that is an 8460.

Darren.

Hey Romain, I just got off the phone with NAPA here in town and they have a part number of 15315 and its a Chicago Rawhide name brand or SKF is the other company name same part number and it was listed un a 1972 Chevelle 10 bolt rear end....

Darren

My 72 has a 8.2 rear end. The only reason I know that is the previous owner ordered and 8.5 Richmond POSI setup and had to send it back because it would not work and I have the receipt for the 8.2 unit. I don't know if this is the factory rear end or not but it is what it is. LOL LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Romain, there should be a two letter code on the axle (front face right hand axle tube) if I remember correctly. That will give you the ratio. Mine was GC for 2.73 non-locking.

But to find if the ring gear diameter is 8.2 or 8.5 see this post Linky I redid mine last year and it is 8.2.

Good luck.

Thank you MG smile

According to what I see, the cover looks like a 8,5" but the housing doesn't have the "ears" in the lower corner...

CIMG0624-2.jpg