1972 "454" Monte Carlo

Do any of the FGMCC members know if GM made a 1972 Monte Carlo with a 454 installed in it. There is a guy in my home town who has one, (but he won't sell) and he has had it since 1974 and he has all the papers to prove it came with this Engine. It has Gold exterior and Buckskin Bucket seat interior, 400 turbo Tranny, Posi 373 rear end gear. The car has only 43,235 miles, the Monte is in perfect condition and just wondering it anyone else has come across a 1972 with a 454 in it.

An old buddy of mine in the Northeast still has a 72 MC Custom 454. He's had it for 20 years or so and it is apart. The engine is the original with matching #'s. He is under the impression that it was one of GM's 72 SS equivilents snuck out the door. He claims there are about 600 of these made.

He is under the impression that it was one of GM's 72 SS equivilents snuck out the door.

Well, since there was no SS454 model in '72, many people consider a 454-equipped Custom to be the closest thing to it - including myself. I'll bet it's a great car. smile

Dave

This guy is meticulous about his resto's and his 67 original body/paint Chevelle SS with a modified DougNash 5 speed, and power options added can attest to that. He's had that for close to 30 years.

You're right, when done the 72 "SS" equivilent will be dead nuts mint! Apparently it has all the cool gauging, tach and all..

Big Blocks are the favorites of many...including myself.

I know how the guy feels about his 1967 Chevelle I have had two of the nicest one's around here but got back into the Monte Carlo's because they ride so much better than the Chevelles. The 454 '72 Monte Carlo that the guy has in my hometown is just a fantastic car, I even tried to trade him the 1970 4-speed Monte I just purched on Ebay but he just laughed at me, (can't blame him). I am currently restoring a 1972 Monte that I have installed a 502 crate engine and 400 turbo tranny, hope to have it finished this summer.