Need advice---can't push frame with TH400 backward

gronlit

I've been slowly making progress with the frame-off restoration; this past weekend i was able to get the driveshaft installed among otherthings. When i tried to roll the frame (w/ engine, trans, differential, etc) back into the garage it won't budge going backwards. I can push it forwards although its a little jerky. It acts the same when the gear selector is in all positions out of park. When i removed the driveshaft i was able to push it backwards again just fine.

My father and I rebuild the TH400 a couple years ago...and apparently did something wrong that is preventing the transmission from being backdriven. Since the car still isn't drivable the transmission hasn't been operated since the rebuild. The only thing i can think of is it has something to do with the sprag clutch due to the direction dependancy. Anyone have some suggestions of what the cause could be so i know where to start/focus on when i pull the transmission out to investigate.

I know the best way to get the poblem fixed would be to have a professional do the rebuild, but as my hobby i prefer to do it myself.

Thanks

Tim

im no tranny guy...but it sounds like the parking paw is not installed properly.

i think you can see it with the pan off .

thats all i got.