4L80E mods for rebuild

Daryl

Getting ready to rebuild my 1996 4L80E trans and was wondering what mods would any of you suggest doing while its apart. It will still be an "E" tranny controled by a TCI TCU. I have planed a total replacment of all seals,gaskets clutches,steels,boost valve,the bonded piston,bands,switch from 16 to 34 element bearing and the dual feed modification. Any thing else I should do? It is going behind a 625-675hp 489. Do you think I will need a hardened input shaft?

No one is running a 4L80e? Let me throw out another one. Are all the years 89 to present output shafts interchangeable? I have the short splined bolted version and I would like to swap it out for the longer 2wd one .

Daryl, sorry no one has answered you. I know that a few guys are running them but the names escape me. I have two of them in my possession that were given to me but I will be holding off for the time being on running them due to the cost. If you don't already know about him check out jakesperformance.com he is very well respected over at team chevelle and has even designed some of his own parts. David

Daryl, don't do it. I have a 4L80 "full manual" in mine and if I had to do it again, I wouldn't. The trans is too long. Will need tunnel work and a redo of the frame bracing in the middle of the frame. Unless,.. you go underneath the frame rail to mount the crossmember as I did. Can't give you any recommendations on a rebuild, I had a stage 4 built by Gearstar in Arkon, OH. Good to 900 hp at the wheels.

As far as the tranny, LOVE IT.

Go with a "super built" 2004r. I originally wanted to go that route. - Dave

Well cant turn back now, to far along. I scored the trany for $350. Looking at keeping it an auto and going with the TCI TCU controler. I spent $200 on a delux rebuild kit and I am almost done. After getting it apart I could have gotten away with just a shift kit as every looked good inside, very little wear. All said and done I'll have around a 1K in it. I don't think that is to bad for adding a 4th gear.

Daryl sounds like you have a plan. If you are going to re-use your stock converter you will probably be within the budget. I would suggest spending a little more while you are at it and get a quality (key word here) higher stall converter. You will still have the fun but will be able to use the lockout feature for fuel mileage on the highway. I was wondering what you have planned for your speedo hookup? Shiftworks has a conversion tail shaft housing for about 600.00. That and a torque converter have been the hold up for me do my swap. I like the idea of the controller being able to control the shift points as opposed to the governor set up on a turbo 400. In my case I already have a good turbo 400 and I am leaning towards a GV overdrive instead. David

I am getting a new torque converter about 2800-3000 stall. As far as the speedo goes, I plan on going to a Digital Dakota VHX instrument cluster and just using the electronic output of the 4l80e.

Over on the Chevelle forum it seems like everyone that has a 4l80e and an electronic controller can't say enough about how great it is to choose the shift points and have full control over the transmission.

Well for future references, I ended up dual feeding the direct drum, switching to a larger boost valve and drilling out the sep plate for firmer shifts. It's going to be a while before I can test it out, I am doing a full rework of the car, but when that happens I'll repost the results.