Holley HP 170 mechanical pump installed

dbreese

100_1520_zps9cc97f25.jpg[/url]

100_1519_zps40e32abd.jpg[/url]

100_1518_zps9c62ec7c.jpg[/url]

And a cool one from Drag Week. Have know idea where I was. I think KY

100_1499_zpsa532aaa1.jpg[/url]

Anyway as most of ya know that installing a hp pump on a s/b has always been an issue because of the setback of the engine in the crossmember. Well with some massaging with heat and a dollies my friend ( body shop owner) was able to get the clearance I needed. Had to work the hole through the crossmember to get the clearance for the fitting. The pictures of the are a little deceiving as there is about an 1/8" all around and underneath. Plenty with solid motor mounts. Changed the plumbing out so now I just reused my 1/2" Robbmc p/u and -8 stuff all the way to the carb.

Started the car up, one small leak which was just a quick tighten with the wrench. The pump doesn't require a regulator and is pre-set at 7.5 psi. Gauge was steady at 7.5.

Still need to tidy up underneath with some adel clamps.

Please excuse the mess. I haven't cleaned the car up since Drag Week. She will get a good cleaning next weekend.

David

I have the big block version, it works well.

Dave, how much clearance do you have at the inlet fitting?

Hey Mike. Where the an fitting comes through the frame I'm guessing about 7/16" to a 1/2". The inlet on the pump at least a 1/4". WIth the fitting it sticks out far enough there are no clearance issues. No problems getting a wrench on it. It is really hard to see in the photos but if you climb underneath with a light shining from the top and side I'm good with it.

I'm running a Trend fuel pump pushrod with the bronze tip (billet core cam). Have you had any wear issues on the tip? I have read where guys running the bronze tipped rods have had them mushroom out. I spoke with the tech guy at Trend and he said in jest "Yeah if ya but it in backwards" LOL!!. They have had zero issues with this. I'm gonna check mine at about 500 miles just out grins and giggles. I think some of the issues may be those with that had excessive cam endplay causing the eccentric to rub on the tip.

Yeah that pump is a really nice piece and if supports that beast of an engine you have I have no worries with my piddley s/b. LOL

David.