Re-bodied cars

Wanted, your opinions on re-bodied cars, is a SS454 still a SS454 even if the rusted body has been replaced with a rust free shell. Few cars( 442 Olds, GTO) in my area like this and are being passed off as real cars,with very high price tags.

Jim

To rebody a car is a VERY easy way to fix a rusted car. It have been done much more often than you think!

Removal of the VIN and transferring of the numbers is a Felony crime no matter what your motive. You must decide your own morals and have to live with your decision. Unfortunately for most folks it is only a problem WHEN THEY GET CAUGHT!!!

The problem with a rebody is the FACT that at some point when the car is sold the small issue of the rebody is forgotten. It may be the first sale after the rebody or the fifth sale however there is ALWAYS one ***** in the bunch who WILL forget this important detail. This is when the fraud is perpetrated and everyone becomes involved!

If you build a rebody and/or sell a rebody, get the buyer to sign a "notarized" statement acknowledging that he "knows, understands, and accepts" that he has purchased a rebodied automobile. That is the only way to get you off the hook in the future. KEEP THAT SIGNED DOCUMENT!

A rebody is worth less that a none rebody car. How much? 25% to 100% less. How can it be worth 100% less? Easy, many buyers will not buy your car period because of the rebody.

Monte Carlos are TOO CHEAP NOW and there are TOO MANY GOOD CARS AVAILABLE to even consider the purchase of a rebody. If it's "free to good home" maybe.

Do not put your hard earned money in a KNOWN problem. REMEMBER, the car you buy today is the car you will sell in the future. You will have to deal with the same issues the current seller now enjoys.

I personally believe people buy/build rebodied cars because of GREED! Rebodies are cheaper to buy/build and therefore the builder/buyer can get a better or more rare car that he normally would be able to afford. Besides nobody will know it's a rebody when the buyer/builder is ready to sell the car!

Don't be GREEDY!

Hey Hey

When I close all the holes on the fire wall of my Monte the vin Number was in one or two spots on the fire wall and by the shot to the right mine is just a shell and the vin number is all around the body so its hard to do something like what you are saying unless like me I did not care about numbers but I got luckey and got the car a title

Dave

Most cars have 1 or 2 "hidden" VIN's stamped in the body. I have NEVER seen a hidden VIN anyhwere on a GM body that was NOT stamped on the cowl or firewall. You will usually find one behind the heater box below the hole for the squirel cage fan.

There is also a hidden VIN on the left frame rail.

Remember, the above VIN locations I was speaking about concerns the body itself, not the chassis.

Rest assured that the lcoation of the "hidden" VIN's is well know and it is VERY easy to cut out and reweld the VIN into the rebody. If you are goinig to rebody a car, all the numbers will get changed. If not, the person doing the rebody is lazy and stupid.

what about back halving a car leaving the entire cowl intact , or a builders title , yes the car would be worth less but honestly rebuilt , i am sure no one is getting greedy rebuilding monte carlos , that is much better left to the corvette camaro chevelle cars , if anyone can get rich building monte carlos i would sure like to meet them

Leo

I've made my views known several times. If it isn't what the factory made, it isn't original. The farther you go from what the factory made, the less it's worth. I don't think people are doing rebodies and selling SS Monte's for big bucks. Not enough money to justify the work yet. If you're going to spend that kind of money, you should know how to spot these cars or be willing to pay someone who does. It is easier to bolt on some repro SS trim and claim it's a rare 72 SS with a 402, latest reported fake from ebay, or one of XX 70's made with a 350. I'm sure there are at least twice as many "SS Monte Carlo's" for sale and driving around than Chevrolet made. Buyer Beware.

Come on Leo, you mean to tell me your not rich with all those parts and Monte's? Just kidding.

Your right, I do not know anyone getting rich off of Monte's however I do not know anyone "parting out" nice cars. I believe that a nice Monte Carlo will "part out" for more money than it will bring whole. I am not talking about a junque car. I am talking about parting out a NICE car. Nice quarters, fenders, 454, wheels, tires, buckets, console, dash, frame, brakes, 12 bolt rear, etc. The prices of these parts can easily exceed the asking price of a nice restored Monte.

Want TOP DOLLAR for you Monte? Part it out!!!!

Come on Leo, you mean to tell me your not rich with all those parts and Monte's? Just kidding.

Your right, I do not know anyone getting rich off of Monte's however I do not know anyone "parting out" nice cars. I believe that a nice Monte Carlo will "part out" for more money than it will bring whole. I am not talking about a junque car. I am talking about parting out a NICE car. Nice quarters, fenders, 454, wheels, tires, buckets, console, dash, frame, brakes, 12 bolt rear, etc. The prices of these parts can easily exceed the asking price of a nice restored Monte.

Want TOP DOLLAR for you Monte? Part it out!!!!