Door Handle Control Mechanism

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Have had a issue with my door handles not locked onto the mechanisms over the years. Learned how to open doors without handles falling off. Am now at a point where I would like to fix them.

Had new door panels installed some years ago and the chrome backing plates for the arm rests I'm guessing were added at that time.

Well, while searching found there are longer stem handle mechanisms needed when using with chrome backing plates? If so, I cant seem to find any longer stem ones.

Any advise/ideas?

Heres a pic for what I am looking for!

DOORHANDLECONTROLMECHANISM.jpg

Appreciate any help. smile

Doug

I don't know of anyone selling the longer stem version, hope someone here might know. I was looking for the same a while back & gave up and had to find some good used ones. The return spring was broke on one of mine, but then later found someone that sells just the spring. So that is available to repair broken ones if this may be your issue too?

Cory, the mechanisms work fine. The stem length is the only issue. I think I can open up space around chrome backing plate that will allow door handle to move deeper onto spline and possibly let the clip fasten to the stem. They don't have to move in very far to secure handle. It looks like I can remove enough material from backing plates without exposing that clearance beyond arm rests.

I am not positive that by allowing handle to move deeper onto stem that door handle itself wont interfere at outer edge of door handle preventing it from fastening and or making contact with chrome door panel backing plate on outer edge when opening door.

I am going to have both door panels off at some point and thought it would be simpler to replace vs. attempting modification of existing mechanisms. Had even given thought to adding shims behind mechanisms at mounting points to close the gap but not even sure this would be practical.

I had a feeling they may not be available aftermarket based on my recent searches.

I'll do some checking with Junk Yards to see if any know what I'm looking for and have a decent replacement set.

In the meantime, any information is appreciated.

Doug