SS Engine Block

Hello all, I am in the process of restoring a documented '70 SS that I don't have the original motor or tranny for. I am trying to locate a block for this car and would appreciate any opinions on whether I should try to find a correct CRN coded block, or just put in a generic block that is cheaper and more readily available.

I am trying to restore this car as factory original as possible, but I just don't know if it is worth the extra dough. Thanks in advance.

You don't necessarily need to look for a CRN coded block. All you need to find is a block with a 3963512 casting number and a casting date of about 2-3 months prior to the build date of your car (easier said than done). You can then restamp the block with your VIN number and the engine number from the Protect-O-Plate. Expect to pay a premium for the block with the correct date code because the blocks are sought after by Chevelle and Corvette restorers (and we all know how deep LS6 Chevelle owner's pockets are). Also figure that they made 3823 Monte Carlo SS454 cars, about 9000 Chevelle SS454 cars (combining LS-5 and LS-6 production) and maybe 5000 454 Corvettes (estimated ... I haven't researched that number) during the 1970 model year. Divide that production by 12 and you are talking about approximately 1500 engine blocks made during the correct date period. Now you need to find cylinder heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, carburator, etc. all with correct date codes to create a correct engine. You could easily spend $10K in this venture. eek

Now that I've divulged this information, SGT Ed of the SS454 police can arrest me for providing information on the cloning of an original SS car in such a way that it would be very difficult to tell that the car is not correct laugh

Iceman, You called? Long time no hear. How is that absolutly perfect SS doing? Many of us have been waiting for a picture of your 70 SS454 clone LS6 than Chevy should have made. Actually it's not a clone as none were ever made. Believe me restamping a block can be detected. Not a thing wrong with clones. In the USA owners of private property can do with it as they choose. Ed

I appreciate the feedback, Iceman, but I am not really interested in restamping a block. I'm just trying to get some opinions on whether it is worth it to try to find a 3963512 casting block or if I should find a cheaper block since the car wouldn't be matching numbers anyway.

My vote..... Since the engine will never be numbers matching (to Vin#) it probably doesn't matter to much. Unless you are lucky enough to find an original factory replacement motor for your year that has not been stamped with a vin. That is like finding a needle in a haystack but they are out there.

I say get an LS5 and make it look as factory correct as possible. If it doesn't match vin it doesn't matter whether its a CRN or not b/c it would still only be a correct year block but not correct car.

I say save yourself the headache of looking for a "CRN" which as you know were not stamped on too many LS5's and go for something like this and be done. It even has the correct air cleaner which is worth $100. Saw it on eBay after reading your post and thought I would pass it along. It is a 73 motor but I am sure you were going to rebuild it to your liking and HP anyway.

Dan

Here is link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...828603&rd=1