B&M Prostick install

Will

So now that I have my space between the trans and the tunnel I decided it was time to install my new pro stick. I wasnt completely sure how to get the mounting holes exact so I decided to wing it. The instructions said use a 9/32 drill bit to drill the holes. But it wont fit through the holes in the bracket, so I went just a bit smaller. I tested the movement of the shifter till I found where I wanted it to go. and then just held it in place while I drilled the holes. The down side of my technique is with the carpet and fatmat I got a drillbit that looked like this.

014_zpsc3b89d5e.jpg

But could be worse I suppose. Once I got the shifter semi mounted it was time for the hole for the cable. Being a front exit cable I mounted it into the shifter and pressed it against the floor to guesstimate where to drill. Then I just drilled a small hole and progressively opened it up. As I tried to run the cable I found that even with the cross member off and the lowered trans tail I didnt have enough room. To fix this I pulled the distributor cap, which go me the inch I needed.

007_zps33b3d125.jpg

008_zps6dab8197.jpg

They dont tell you in the instruction but because of the retaining tab that mounts to the shifter, you have to feed the cable from above. (or at least I did) so I took all the hardware off the trans mount end and after opening the hole just a bit with a file she went though.

034_zps56fbc67d.jpg

036_zps3b5dddd8.jpg

006_zps9b68f433.jpg

010_zpsb0d207c0.jpg

Then some tightening later I was all set. All together it took only a couple hours. And Im very happy with the results.

031_zps1538bc0f.jpg

030_zps63e70a5a.jpg

020_zps61775819.jpg

Next I will need to trim that old shifter off the column. cool

I had to do something similar when I installed a Quicksilver in my 67 Firebird. Make sure the cable doesn't rest on the cross member. For some reason it will cause a horrible resonance. David

I didnt look at it and pretended that it didnt exist. We have rached a mutually beneficial agreement that if it doesnt bother me I wont cut it off cool