Discovered a 2004 Western Meet Video

Canuck

My wife discovered an old disk and I forgot we even recorded this video. Some video of the cars at the car show and the cruise around the local race track. The part around the race track is with my wife and I in the front seat and Dave and Janet Mau in the back seat. Cameron, Rod and Mark are in front of me for the cruise.

Ok, that's pretty cool.

I was the guy driving the car right in front of you, so I feel like the star of that film. It was great seeing our group snake through the bends leading out of the park at the beginning.

I have lots of still photos of my car, but this is one of the few of it in motion. It's sad to know that that racetrack was torn down shortly after our visit.

I remember how agonizing it was to drive so slow on that oval. I just wanted to...shifter

Yes, that was a fun drive. I remember following your car well. You Monte was the first 71 SS454 I'd seen in person and it became my favorite Monte to have. Took me 9 more years but I finally got one.

That drive on the track was painfully slow but still cool. I still remember seeing dick running around the infield with his camera and tripod.

In the video I could hear my name and they announced I drove 900 miles to the event. smile

Great Video, as a newbie I have not had the opportunity to go to a meet yet. Do most of you drive, or trailer? My Monte is a clean survivor, but it is a survivor, I don't know how comfortable I would be driving to Oregon from Central California.

Over the past 10 years I have been to 7 Western Meets for a total of about 9,300 miles. This is only the amounts driven for the official meets. I've been to some other meets over the years that required some distance driving (maybe another 2,500 miles). This means that over 10% of the miles on my Monte are accumulated from meets, pretty cool. I love driving the car and I have a lot of great memories from these trips. I also meet a lot of people at the stops I make and take advantage of photo opportunities along the way.

Clearly there are arguments for both driving and hauling a trailer but I truly enjoy the drive. If you have a car that is not geared for a long drive, a fresh restoration or there are uncertainties with its reliability I can see the need for a trailer. So far I've been pretty lucky I guess and never had any major issues. I know that when Jay had issues with his carburator at the 2012 meet, he was happy he had a truck and trailer. My 70 has been pretty well maintained and I do some preventative maintenance for peace of mind but something could happen.

I drove the 71 on its first meet road trip to this year's meet and it will be going to the 2014 meet also. smile

Thanks Aaron. The furthest I've driven it is about 100 miles and it was fine. It is hard to know how many miles it has on it because when they go over 100k it starts over. I have all of the receipts since new and can track the mileage which shows 86,000. What is strange is that one of the receipts from an old smog test showed over 100k back in the 80's. All of the other receipts from when the car was new show it as never having gone over. Anyway I've gone through it pretty well and it runs real well. It is geared for the highway as most of the Monte's are. My in-laws live in Washington and we could stop in Oregon if we time the trip to match the 2014 meet in Oregon. I'm still thinking about it. I need to rebuild the trans. as it leaks and has lost its passing gear. Thanks for the response!