Engines

70 Iron

This is for you engine guys, I'm confused about Externaly and internaly balanced sbc engines , the one piece /two piece rear main seals makes a difference I hear.

The 427 BB that I'm installing is internaly bal so would a SB flexplate work if it was also internally bal and 14" ,I'm asking this because the flexplate that came on the engine is for a 1991 and newer according to the # and for a 4L60E tranny so my converter won't bolt up.My guy thats doing the swap for me is trying to get the right one but I want to make sure its the one I need.

Terry

your old engine is a 2 piece rear main seal, the new 427 is new 1 piece rear main seal, so that there tells you that you need a different flexplate, if it was a old style mark IV 427, you could use your flexplate because both the 350 and 427 are internally balanced

Thanks Sam and Mike,

Good news ! he just called and said that the engine is in. He got the right flexplate from the GM dealer from where we got the engine.He said that he needed a "shoe horn" to get it in though lol It has the tall cast alumimun valve covers that has 427 CHEVROLET on them ,I didn't see it yet but he says it looks like a monster in there.

He had to remove the motor mounts from the block and bolted them to the frame towers with the through bolts and slide the engine back between the booster and the A/C evap.then start the bolts in the block . He thinks there's enough clearence between them and won't be a problem. The oil pan fit nice that came on the engine too also the tall fuel pump.The rest should be "a walk in the park " yay

Thanks again for your replies guys.

Terry

After "The walk in the park" we expect pictures! lol

You got it Scott ! As long as I don't step in a hole while out for the walk lol

I might stop by today to have a look and snap a pic or two.

Terry