1971 SS Load Leveling System

johnbu

I'm trying to confirm that my car is an original SS. I do have all the usual SS items - posi, shock protectors, boxed control arms, SS rear bumper, black stripe on the back of the deck lid, badging, etc. but need assistance regarding the load leveling system. I do not have any mounting holes on my inner fender for the missing air compressor. I do however have what looks to be a level switch mounted on my fire wall directly below the cowl tag. It has a blue disconnected wire hanging from it. Is this the switch which controlled the compressor?

Any help is appreciated.

John, I also have a '71 SS454. Check numbers on machined surface ahead of right cylinder head. Mine has two lines of numbers. One line is the code 'CDP' which means the motor is a '71 454, second line numbers is the VIN. Mine checked out. Also check front a-arm lower rear bushings. Are they oval or round? Is left inner fender plastic or metal? Go to home page, click Monte Carlo achives, click Teck Info, click Is it a real SS? Here is a bunch of info. Read it all a few times. Then get back with us for questions. Have you found the build sheet? Ed

------------------

Branson or Bust

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 Project Super Dark Green Metallic/346LS1/4L60E/12bolt posi

71Monte-1.jpg

[This message has been edited by ejw71 (edited 08-04-2003).]

as best i can remember the control valve for the level ride unit mounts to the frame above the rear axle and conects to one of the upper control arms of the rear axle .

mike

Thanks! I found the control valve above the rear axle and verified that my Monte is truly an SS based upon all of the tell tail signs. Thanks again for all of your assistance. I still cannot determine how the compressor was mounted to the fender well but I think the inner and outer fenders were replaced at some time.

Thanks again!

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grease:

as best i can remember the control valve for the level ride unit mounts to the frame above the rear axle and conects to one of the upper control arms of the rear axle .

mike</font>