steering wheel instalation

Rock

WOW. Glen is all I can say. I have bought a LOT of stuff from Mike (sonnie 24) almost about $3000 in parts and was never messed around or anything got screwed up. I even referred Mike to others on here and they didnt get messed around either.. I am sorry this has happened to you especially from Mike of all guys on Ebay. I will let you know if i find any hubs still. Just tell Mike its the exact same application as a 70-72 Chevelle with tilt or without tilt.

Darren.

WOW. Glen is all I can say. I have bought a LOT of stuff from Mike (sonnie 24) almost about $3000 in parts and was never messed around or anything got screwed up. I even referred Mike to others on here and they didnt get messed around either.. I am sorry this has happened to you especially from Mike of all guys on Ebay. I will let you know if i find any hubs still. Just tell Mike its the exact same application as a 70-72 Chevelle with tilt or without tilt.

Darren.

This is why I bought from Hi Tech Classics because of what I read here. I bought my guage package from him and when I put it in the car the tach didn't work. After testing everything with an engine anylyzer and a volt meter we determined the tach was bad. sent it back to Sonnie24 only to have him send the exact same package to me with no explanation. So i asked him what he found out and he sent me a nasty email and basically calling me "stupid".

Here is the email he sent me....

Dear gnewman2324,

I did a real test. I Tested this on a 1970 chevelle. It matches the in dash tach perfectly. You can mess with a sears tester or listen to the guy who actually put it on a car, Builds Chevelles for a living, sold over 2,500 of these tachs and has been selling them for over 13 years since they were made. Your choice.

If you would like to do the exact same test i did, it is easy.

On the back of the tach, there is only 2 terminals, 12V and tach

open your hood, make a wire with eyelet on each end. one to the 12V terminal on back of tach, other to the + on the battery.

make another wire, eyelet on one end on tach terminal, other end to Negative side of coil.

last, get an alligator clip with wire, attach to negative side of battery and the other end to the metal housing of the tach. or, just make sure the metal backing plate touches the negative terminal for good ground.

Turn the car on, tach will work, perfectly. I know, i did it.

Or, just put it in the dash and watch it work.

By the way, fuel gauge also works. I tested it too.

Now, If you would have done all of this like i said, before you sent it back to me, you would have seen that everything was fine and you would not have wasted any time.

I take these gauges seriously, have them all figured out. Been doing this every day for years. I even build them for other dealers. So called experts and shops can't figure out how a simple gauge works and they always blame the gauge, not the installer, or the incorrect ground of the gauge 9 out of 10 times the problem. I have this happen a few times. the guy wants to be sure everything works before installing the dash, plugs in the gauge cluster and holds it. Not bolting it into the dash with correct ground strap running from light switch to metal frame of dash. turn the car on, Guess what. It don`t work and he's pissed.

If you feel like sending me 16.00 for my re-shipping the cluster and good advice about gauges. Please do.

- sonnie24

So after putting this guage package back in the car the tach still didn't work. So I took it back out and looked reel close at the tach terminals and noticed that the washer between the bolts was keeping the terminals from contacting the circuit board. I ohmed from the conector to the terminal and it read open with an ohm meter. After adding some larger washers to the terminals the tach began to work. Yep it worked when connected directlyto the terminals......Not a true real world test. So his quality control was the problem in My opinion. now the deal with the steering wheel????

The guy just isn't very personable.

Glen, like Darren, I have personally had a good experience dealing with sonnie24, BUT I can fully understand why you are miffed at him - I would be also if I received the condescending email you received from him.

While it was probably reassuring to know that the tach he sent you did work properly under "test" conditions, he sure didn't do anything to help you get it working in your Monte which was the only objective of installing it in the first place.

Unfortunately, he is just one of many, many product suppliers who don't seem to understand or offer good customer service. I won't mention other names here, but I certainly can, as can probably everyone who has bought many parts.

One of the things I noticed about sonnie24's full gauge conversion kit is that his instructions are REALLY POOR (at least they were when I ordered my kit over a year ago). There were only two pages and both were poor copies of originals that had numerous line outs and hand written corrections. If he sells so many of these kits, one might think he would take the time to rewrite, or at least update, the instructions.

I had to consult with Darren, our resident dash expert, to be sure I was interpreting the lousy instruction sheets and diagrams correctly. As a result, Darren provided me some excellent diagrams and we wrote an eight page set of detailed instructions on this conversion and have made them available through earlier posts on this subject.

I suppose if I had told sonnie24 how poor I thought his instructions were, I probably would have received a nasty email like you did - that's just the way guys like that react. The customer is ALWAYS wrong and they are always right. Even when you prove it to them, they seldom change.

Sorry, you got burned twice but glad you at least got your tach working. Hope you have better luck next time!

Glen, like Darren, I have personally had a good experience dealing with sonnie24, BUT I can fully understand why you are miffed at him - I would be also if I received the condescending email you received from him.

While it was probably reassuring to know that the tach he sent you did work properly under "test" conditions, he sure didn't do anything to help you get it working in your Monte which was the only objective of installing it in the first place.

Unfortunately, he is just one of many, many product suppliers who don't seem to understand or offer good customer service. I won't mention other names here, but I certainly can, as can probably everyone who has bought many parts.

One of the things I noticed about sonnie24's full gauge conversion kit is that his instructions are REALLY POOR (at least they were when I ordered my kit over a year ago). There were only two pages and both were poor copies of originals that had numerous line outs and hand written corrections. If he sells so many of these kits, one might think he would take the time to rewrite, or at least update, the instructions.

I had to consult with Darren, our resident dash expert, to be sure I was interpreting the lousy instruction sheets and diagrams correctly. As a result, Darren provided me some excellent diagrams and we wrote an eight page set of detailed instructions on this conversion and have made them available through earlier posts on this subject.

I suppose if I had told sonnie24 how poor I thought his instructions were, I probably would have received a nasty email like you did - that's just the way guys like that react. The customer is ALWAYS wrong and they are always right. Even when you prove it to them, they seldom change.

Sorry, you got burned twice but glad you at least got your tach working. Hope you have better luck next time!

Thanks for understanding my frustrations. I KNOW if I now tell him he sent me the WRONG hub....imagine the tongue lashing I would get but I also feel I should get what I paid for. I may just let it slide....It works well now and looks good but I know when I look at it I will know it isn't correct.

Hey Glen here is the correct hub on Ebay for sale right now. The guy has 3 of them and has a buy it now price of $55 which is what I paid for mine but was red,this one is already black.. hope this helps Ebay item number is 290857906294

Darren.

B4rSJwgCWkKGrHqEOKj8EyN0WfmvBMqy9nH93_12

Thanks Buddy. Even though I shouldn't have to shell out another $60 I pulled the trigger and bought one. I Will however email Sonnie24 the pic of the different hubs.

Hey Glen, Thats great. Sorry for what is happening but at least you are on your way now. Back on Page 1 in your post with the steering wheel and hub and cap you can see how the spokes that run from 9 to 3 roughly and the 3rd spoke at the 6 oclock position the spoke runs down and meets the other one and tucks underneath causeing an unblanace in the wheel that is the part that will seat in that hub I led you to. it has that recessed part in the hub to accomidated that 3rd spoke uneven area and now it will sit flush on the hub when its all put together…

Darren…. hope that all makes sence ?