steering wheel instalation

Rock

I bought the Chevelle 3 spoke steering wheel and it did not come with any istructions. can some one who has done this help me out?

It came with a splined hub and a horn cap and some screws. not sure how this operates or goes together.

1456678_10202674066161903_1994589835_n_z

Heres a pic of the column. a lot of pics I see theres a ground wire coming out of the signal cancelor and mine doesn't have one. Am I missing something here?

Rock,

There is a spring loaded extention wire (4~5 inches long) that should have been in the horn kit. It is inserted into the horn slip ring and is connected to the horn switch installed after the wheel is installed.

on the hub, you should see a mark on the end of the steering shaft that marks the 12:00 position. The hub should have a corresponding mark to allow you line the hub up with the steering shaft in the correct position. Once the hub is on, the steering wheel is mounted to it using the 6 screws. You can also mount the steering wheel first and install it as an assembly.

Let us know how it's coming.

Joe

Is it a grant wheel?

You may need an install kit.

The grant web site should have instructions on the install and a part number for your application.

No. It isn't a grant wheel.

IMG_20140130_181906_zpsya8jqwbp.jpg

here is everything that came with the new steering wheel. The stuff from the old wheel will not work with this kit. Do I need a horn kit for this steering wheel? I just dont understand how the horn will work with the stuff the guy sent me for this wheel.

Where's your horn ground wire? Feeds up thru steering hub and hooks onto that three pronged deal that your horn button snaps onto. See pic, notice the wire

IMG_20130617_003511_zpsff0f9f13.jpg

This is a new steering column and did not have one when I got it. I wonder if it's hiding inside somewhere. I thought I needed a ground wire coming out of that stub on the column. I guess i look behind the black plate and see if it hiding.

I have the same wheel and I have a steel plunger and spring that touches the three prong deal

I emailed the guy I bought it from and asked if there is a horn kit I need to buy. Have not heard back from him yet. I have a spring from the Grant wheel I took off but I dont think I can use that with this wheel.

The spring and plunger Sam speaks off is pictured in this listing, looks like the guy left out some parts on you. frown

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comfort-Grip-Ste...e-/271346657323

Similar to this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-CUTLASS-44...Y-/390757596793

The spring and plunger Sam speaks off is pictured in this listing, looks like the guy left out some parts on you. frown

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comfort-Grip-Ste...e-/271346657323

Similar to this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-CUTLASS-44...Y-/390757596793

With my luck it doesn't surprise me that I am missing parts.

Rock,

In my first response I mis-lead you on the type of horn connector you needed the members that described the pin, spring and clip collar are correct for the type of wheel you're using. the extention wire is for a different type of wheel.

If you don't get your supplier to send you what you need send me your address in a PM and I'll send you the kit you need. I have several of them.

Sorry for the confusion.

Rock,

In my first response I mis-lead you on the type of horn connector you needed the members that described the pin, spring and clip collar are correct for the type of wheel you're using. the extention wire is for a different type of wheel.

If you don't get your supplier to send you what you need send me your address in a PM and I'll send you the kit you need. I have several of them.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks....that is awfully nice of ya! 2beers

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to believe one person can have so many problems with such a simple task.

It started out as a simple steering wheel replacement and turned into a big project.

20140129_204616_zpsvnjf4nuk.jpg

If you recall I put in a tilt column and not 100% sure it was specifically for the Monte but was assured it was for an "A" body and fit perfectly. The problem began when I bought the steering wheel kit.

IMG_20140130_181906_zpsya8jqwbp.jpg

The problem was the hub when put on the column it didn't seem to grab enough of the splines. Seems the plastic cover and the shape of the plate took up a lot of space that wasn't on the original column. So I ended up machining the 3/8 lip off the hub.

20140205_031706_zpsdkbke975.jpeg

tough to see but there was a lip on the underside. I had to remove it to get the hub to sit in the spline.

20140208_165725_zpsimq04pts.jpg

so now all this fits together nicely but now I got to modify the horn pin and spring......I tell ya, nothing seems to go smoothly.

here is the finished project.

20140220_203201_zpsmuzqdbua.jpg

Glen I have some bad news for you my Friend, That Hub Kit you have is WRONG… its for older GM vehicles . I will try to post pictures of the right one. to describe it is a little harder to do, also a Tilt steering column has a different horn kit than a non tilt wheel. The correct hub will be shorter and more tapered and the steering wheel when you screw it onto the hub it sits in a small indent in the hub itself to add more secure fit and will also look and fit better than the one you have.

I know this as I have a Comfort grip wheel and have installed lots of them on FGMCC members cars up here and also working at GM for years you know what you are looking at after a while…. stay tuned for the pictures of correct stuff for your comfort grip wheel…

Darren

Here you go Glen, Look real close at picture number one you can see how much shorter this hub is and that it is also tapered plus when looking at the picture you can see how the hub is recessed from the 10 o'clock area to the 2 o'clock area so slightly. That allows your wheel to seat as they say into the hub because the back of the steering wheel should look over lapped in metal where is seats into the hub.

Picture two you can see how on the backside of the hub it also has a recessed lip all the way around the outside …that part is what slides over your steering column to make it look like its sleeved and fits perfect. when you look at your it doesnt do that. And last Picture three shows you how short (stubby) the hub is actually meant to be and you can see how it it also on a taper (angle) rather than round looking as your is…..

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news my friend..

PS. also on a Tilt column as I mentioned the horn pin is slightly longer to accommodate the column moving up and down in order for the horn to still work in any position.

Darren

_57_zpsbeab8f4a.jpg_57-2_zps31c3d09f.jpg_57-3_zps85563c8a.jpg

This is the 4 spoke I have in my Monte Glen and it also uses the exact same Hub Mounting kit I described to you and is also on a Tilt Column as well if you look close and you can see how short it is and how it sleeves over the column as if there is no join..

Darren

photo4_zpsd773ae55.jpgphoto5_zps471d5d52.jpg

It doesn't surprise me Darren that I have the wrong kit. I got it from high tech classics and he assured me it was the correct one for my car. I didn't push it cause that guy is kind of a hot head. I also bought my guage package from him and had problems with that and when questioned he was real belligerent. I think I can live with what I have now but I really shouldn't have to. I should get what I need and paid for.

Hey Glen, you should be able to get it at The Parts Place or Tamraz or even on EbayMotors but look at the pictures in detail first as you can find them used from time to time on there even if you have to paint it it saves you some bucks. There are guys looking for your hub so you could even sell yours on Ebay to help compensate the cost. I will look on Ebay as well if I find the right one I will send you a PM with the info.

Darren.

Yep, I see a few on ebay. I shouldn't have to pay for another one. I am tempted to get a hold of the guy from hi tech classics and let him know he screwed me again. I told him exactly what year car I had and that it now had a tilt steering column and that's what he sent me with the steering wheel. That Sonnie24 guy claims to be an expert in these cars and has failed me twice on 2 purchases I made from him. I know a few others have dealt with him and managed to get good results. Don't know why I have been so lucky.

Yep, I see a few on ebay. I shouldn't have to pay for another one. I am tempted to get a hold of the guy from hi tech classics and let him know he screwed me again. I told him exactly what year car I had and that it now had a tilt steering column and that's what he sent me with the steering wheel. That Sonnie24 guy claims to be an expert in these cars and has failed me twice on 2 purchases I made from him. I know a few others have dealt with him and managed to get good results. Don't know why I have been so lucky.