Thoughts on exhaust

V8Freak

So brainstorming some ideas for exhaust setup. What I'm thinking is 2 1/2" exhaust, X piped. Mufflers are going too have a vacuume operated door too allow axhaust too bypass for when I really wann giv er lol. Basically my question is what size exhaust do you guys run? Do you do straight exhaust or do you H pipe or X pipe it. What size engines do you run? I ask because I've heard x pipe is the way too go and will give you more hp but if the application isn't right it doesn't allow enough back pressure too build up actually hurting acceleration

3" system from Torque Tech with X-pipe and Pypes Race Pro mufflers(14" case) with

1 3/4" primary long tube headers with a 3" collector. Engine is a 414 s/b 23 degree head that runs on pump premium (93).

http://www.torquetechexh.com

Above is their site. Great people to deal with and fit and finish are awesome.

As far as back pressure, you don't want any as this will hurt performance. This is an old hot rod myth that you want some amount of back pressure. The x-pipe will help scavenge exhaust gasses and clear out the cylinder and combustion chamber of residual exhaust gas that might be lingering and contaminating the incoming fuel air charge thus making it more efficient i.e. more power.

If you are looking for every bit of HP (racing) out of your mill the x-pipe my be the way to go. It also will tame the exhaust note and in my case make my engines' cam seem much milder than the numbers show.

The h-pipe is a good setup as it equals out exhaust pulses at idle an helps with exhaust system resonance at cruise. It can also help with low end torque.

I'm sure others will chime in that are much more knowledgeable than I on this subject.

David

I also agree with Dave.

I have a 3 1/2" exhaust from Torque Tech but would not suggest it unless you want it for shock value or you are making massive HP. I chose not to use an X-pipe or an H-pipe so I could get the "old school" sound I wanted.

I see you have mid-length headers, do you plan on lowering your car...by your screen name I'm thinking you might. So I would suggest 2 1/2". If you are not lowering it too much then I would say a 3" system.

I also agree with Dave.

I have a 3 1/2" exhaust from Torque Tech but would not suggest it unless you want it for shock value or you are making massive HP. I chose not to use an X-pipe or an H-pipe so I could get the "old school" sound I wanted.

I see you have mid-length headers, do you plan on lowering your car...by your screen name I'm thinking you might. So I would suggest 2 1/2". If you are not lowering it too much then I would say a 3" system.

Seen your vid on YouTube, sounds so sexy got a chubby lmao

I'm running a SBC355 and have full length hedmans with 2" pipe and an H pipe with FlowMaster 44"s. Sounds really nice! The H pipe was a noticeable change as it slightly toned down the sound. Research told me that the H-pipe helped with equalizing the pressures for both sides of the motor.....

I have the american thunder kit 2.5 inch with 40 series flowmasters came with all the hangers and hardware. sounds good its a aggressive sounding exhaust and its 409 stainless steel. grin

817409.jpg