Good cams on a budget?

Malyc

Hey all, getting new exhaust installed on Friday, and was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good, relatively inexpensive camshaft that won't need much in the way of valvetrain work, but that'll still give good sound at idle and a decent performance boost. Thanks in advance!

Exhaust is going to be 2.5" piping and Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers, and (hopefully) headers if the ones my dad had on his '77 fit.

And it'd probably help if I said what kind of engine was in it... The H VIN 350 small block.

a cam swap isn't something you want to do inexpensively!!!

buy the best parts or leave it alone

and I personally will never use a flat tappet can again, hydraulic or solid roller or nothing for me

if you have a 2.73 rear gear, a slightly larger cam will hardly gain much performance, changing your gear ratio would be money better spent, changing to say a 3.31 would make a big difference even with your stock engine

Got an easy way to figure out which rear gears are in it, Sam? I'm not really sure what it's got, other than it's an open differential. (Of course I didn't find that out by spinning the tire >.> <.<)

easiest way is to look for the code stamped on the right axle tube on the front side and go to our tech page and look it up

most 71's came with the 2.73, except for the SS's and 4 speeds, they had 3.31

It's actually a '72, but somewhere along the line had a '71 front end put on... Judging by the non-factory paint color and some of the panels not lining up quite right, I'm guessing it was in a fender bender at some point...

Did they come with the same gearing, or were they offered with something different?

She gets up and goes better than anything I've owned, but that's probably just because it's got, you know... 4 extra cylinders and 3.5 or more liters of displacement...

Where exactly is the code stamped? I was just underneath the car but couldn't find it... all the dirt didn't help, but I'm not exactly sure where to look to start cleaning it >.<

Hard as hell to read under there, stamps are almost worn off, but it LOOKS like it might be GC... which puts it being the 2.73s like you guys were saying.

So... anyone got recommendations for a good brand to go with for them? And any other good choices for ratios?

Also... funny how a thread asking for a cam has got me going straight back to the rear dif...

Also... what all would I need to get to install them? Just the ring and pinion, or would I need other parts as well?

And how do I tell if I need the 8.2" or the 8.5"?

Ok, I was looking at ratios last night, and was thinking that a 3.08:1 would give me a boost acceleration wise, but still keep the car from being hateful on the freeway... Am I right in thinking this, or should I go with a higher ratio?

Still wondering if I have an 8.2" or an 8.5" as well...

If it is a 1972 with a s/b it is more than likely an 8.2 unless some swapped it out for 8.5. If it is an 8.2 I would suggest 3.36's. Nice to cruise with and will still give ya some performance.

David

You will need a 3 series carrier. Sorry I should have put that in my last post. You could contact Monzaz for your rear end needs. . I have dealt with Jim before and he can hook you up with what ya need.

David

I'll definitely look into it, for sure. That something I'd be able to do in my garage over an afternoon? Or am I going to need specialized tools, and be better off bringing it in?

You will need some specialty tools, dial indicator to set back lash, hydraulic press to install the pinion bearing, and a good working knowledge on how to set the clearances to get the proper pinion depth and get the gear pattern on the ring gear.

David