vortec heads and intake

need help on this i got vortec head and a vortec intake i got water pourin out both the front and back on each side. affird to torque it down any more and brake a bolt off. the only thing i didnt put on the bolts was thread lock do u think it would make any differents??? or should they have plumbs tape on the threads? this is goin on a week project now with the same thing from last week.

do you have the right intake gaskets? as I understand it.. vortec heads/intakes are different..

also.. did you put a small smear of RTV around all the water ports before you put the gaskets in?

Are you using the vortec intake gaskets ? The gaskets I used were plastic with the rubber o ring type seals on them. I think the torque specs were only about 10 ft lbs. Also I used genuine GM gaskets, someone told me aftermarket gaskets were leakers. I use a dab of rtv on the bolt threads.

i have the gm vortec intake gasket's. i also have the rtv on the front and back chain rail so ill wait for the water to go bad and take the bolts back out and put the rtv on the bolts and see if that helps any.

Yes, torque is 11 lbs. ft. If you have to take the intake off again, check the heads and intake with a straight edge. Someone may have tried to torque to the older specs and tweaked the mating surfaces.

Good luck.

scott its a fairly new intake bought it in nov. the heads been on the motor since 2001 which at that time had an single panel intake on it which didnt leak. maybe my torque wrench aint any good frown already broke a bolt last week, and today broke the inch pound torque wrench. on anything project. looks like i will be pullin the intake tomorrow sometime:( i step forward two steps back keep this up the single panel and 600 holley might find its way back on the motor. im headed to the chat room.

sealer on the threads didnt work the water is comin out from under the gaskets. probably pull the intake back off later tonight if not tomorrow frown . scott u think it will be ok to put the rtv around the water jackets? i checked the gaskets that was on it last week and its coming out around the o-rings. its a 355 vortec motor with a vortec tpi base plate. right now im opened to all ideals as this is goin on to a three year project. the vortec heads r 1996-1997 if that helps any.

Is it possible that the block has been decked so much that the gasket surface mating angles have changed and the gaskets just won't seal? I've heard of such things, but never seen it. Has anyone here ever had any experience with such things?

Mike

I have seen the seal bead get rolled out if the manifold was scooted to line up the bolts. I take long 5/16 bolts and cut the heads of so I can slide the manifold straight down.

Don