Converting 2.73 to posi

jja

I took off the rear cover to the differential yesterday to change the gear oil. Been wondering whether to convert to a posi traction.

I have the standard 12 bolt 2.73 gears. I can't seem to find a posi unit that would seem to swap out with the same gear ratio. Do I have to go a higher ratio and, if so, will it fit in the same axle housing? Anyone done this before? Finally, what is the gear oil capacity on the rear differential? I put in about 2 quarts (a little bit down my arm too) before it started leaking out.

Unfortunatly I don't think anyone makes a 2 series carrier any more. Which means you would have to change gears also, I think 3.08 is the highest available for the 12 bolt. Consensus seems to be that the 3.31's are the best all around choice for a driver. I believe you can go as low as a 3.90, but that is pretty much short trips or track only, you'll be turning a lot of rpm's. Lube capacity is just over 2 quarts but that includes what is in the axle tubes which never drains. When changing it you'll put in just under 2 quarts. Drive it around with a few left and right turns then recheck it.

I have an original GM series 2 posi carrier. I have purchased all new internal steel clutches, side gears, spider gears, etc from Randy's Ring and Pinion. Carrier is clean and crack free. Internal parts are new in their boxes. Would need outer case bearings. If your serious about keeping 2.73s and going posi, this would be the unit for you. $300 plus shipping and it's yours. - Dave