Body shop pros?

Murphy

In several projects I'm undertaking, I keep see a similar problem with primer, Stretch Marks! After the drying process of various primers to include a high-build primer, I occasionally end up with some stretch marks usually in the tight places, is this due to too much primer in these areas? What is a reasonable drying time before sanding?

Not sure what you mean by stretch marks but from the sounds of it,it sounds like too much material in the corners or not enough flash time in between coats. Your trapping the solvents in there and it's basically cracking the top layers.

What primers are you using, gun your spraying it out of,sandpaper grits, etc. some details might help

Thanks Tony, I'm just paint some metal covers & brackets from this old fridge I'm restoring. Trying to do some of the tedious prep work before I turn it over to a body shop for final painting. I'm using a prep spray also, maybe I need to let it cure more?? I've also seen these shrinkage cracks on some of the plastic parts I'm prepping also, guessing I need to use less primer, lighter coats. Using DupliColor products.........

May be the lacquer paint reacting, is it stripped to bare metal on the metal parts?

As far as the plastic parts, may be the same thing, go with very light coats, heat the part up if possible so the primer dries almost instantly, the longer it stays wet, the more time it gives the solvents to attack the old finish materials.

Well, I believe I've discovered the issue. It's the prep spray. After reading the fine print it states not to use on painted/primed surfaces that are less than 6 months old. Here I thought I was being extra sanitary from skin oils! I'm now using those latex gloves.

I did a final sand on this metal kick plate for this old refrigerator (primed yesterday) and decided to put one more thin even coat of primer on it. Wiped it with the prep-spray and it screwed up the freshly sanded primer in a few areas? So I've resanded again!

Live and learn, Murray! Now that you mentioned it, I had exactly the same problem earlier this year when I restored my first granddaughter's tricycle.

I had sprayed some sanded original parts (some bare metal, some original paint) with Eastwood's Prep Spray and then sprayed them with primer which seemed to stick just fine. Then, about a week later, I sprayed the primed parts with Prep Spray to remove finger prints and then sprayed a gloss top coat. Everything wrinkled up horribly and I got to start all over ... ugh! I didn't read the warning you later found on your prep spray but I did put it away and went back to warm water and Dawn liquid soap to remove all traces of oil before priming. Then, I used new cotton gloves to handle the primed parts prior to top coating. Finally got a decent paint job.

Now the tricycle is in the attic waiting for my first great granddaughter to arrive and grow up enough to use it. Wait ... only really old people have great grandchildren, right?? grin

Great grand-daughter! Wooooo! What if its a boy?

Fortunately, it's not either ... yet ... and we hope she will finish college before that happens. That was her reason for wanting me to restore it so it is at least in her plans. This tricycle is red and white so I hope it will also work for a boy.

I had a red and white tricycle when I was small ... the Firetruck special ... had a silver bell in out front of the handlebars with a pull cord and white hand rails for a rider on the back platform ... even had two small wooden ladders hanging on the sides of the hand rails. Seemed way cool back then ... have never seen another like it but would probably buy it if I did. I'm a real sucker for old toys ... especially the ones I grew up with.