what should my stock radio look like?

farmall

My build sheet for my 72 shows "U69 Am/FM radio with buttons". I would like to get one for my car and get rid of the old sears radio. I just don't know exactly what I should be looking for. Are there any other things I need to consider?

Your U69 RPO code is for a Delco AM/FM Mono Radio with built in fader control. There would be (1) rear speaker 6X9" 10ohm in rear package tray on passenger side and (2) front mounted 4X6" 10ohm speakers, (1) on each corner under dash pad. A RPO code U63 is AM only and RPO U79 is a Stereo radio.

Here is a pic of the U69 RPO code radio. The fader control operates from the inner dial (not shown) of the right radio shaft. Those with auxiliary external fader controls are not applicable for your year.

ONLY 10ohm speakers recommended but have been told 8ohm will also work without causing your radio server damage! Also would need correct front speaker brackets if not already available. Driver side speaker has angled magnet that is needed to allow speaker to fit into location. You will also require correct radio wiring harness to rear that includes the Fader option.

Correct radio for your model/year:

RADIOFRONT.jpg

Front Speakers:

a86a_1.jpg

Front Speaker Brackets:

BzdnyGgEGkKGrHqUOKiEETJ1vJQ2BMWIquhEr_12

Rear Speaker:

100_2638-1.jpg

Rear Speaker Grill:

223c_1.jpg

Doug

You should notice also that the radio in Doug's photo is a mono style and the photo I displayed is a stereo style. Notice the amber light to the right of the AM/FM slider switch. This illuminates when receiving a stereo signal.

20140530_090159.jpg20140530_090044.jpg

I also have a 72 and mine looks like this with knobs. I only have a rear speaker in package tray on passenger side. My knobs have metal rings over them with a lip. If I push them in and turn them I can fade in and out. A little choppy but they still work. The left knob if I push and turn metal ring I can tune better to the station. I can really muffled the sound if I wanted...im sure this could be for higher bass ect?? Not sure

• 1 month later...

I thought I had hit the goldmine today. I was at a ladies shop checking out some woodworking tools. Her husband has passed away and was looking to move some stuff. While looking around, I spotted this radio:

DSCN3132_zpse6020dd6.jpg

Once I got home, I checked out this thread and realized it was far from being a U69. I knew it was a stereo and I needed a radio. Anyway, I think I am going to put it in, if it will fit. She gave it to me and it is closer to original than my sears aftermarket radio.