Headliner Install

luke_501

Hey guys,

My monte is finally almost done! after 8 years of working on it! the last big step is to install a headliner. Is this something i can tackle myself with a buddy or should it be professionally done? The problem with having a professional do it is there isn't anyone close to me that does that type of work.

Also, I was looking up some pictures and saw several chevelles getting their headliners put in and noticed they have places for the clips to clip into which the bows would then clip into. I don't have that... Are all monte's that way or am i running into a problem? i don't have any picture at the moment. I will post some tonight. Any help would be beneficial! thanks!!

1 more question, The windshield is currently out of it at the moment because i was told it was easier to install headliner without it. Is this true?

Just called a shop about 30 mins from me and he said they could do it for around 300. I have all the material and sail panels and bows, he just has to do the installation. This seems high to me...? Is this high or a good deal?

This is very reputable shop who do a lot of work on hot rods.

Much easier with glass out IMO. $300 is fair too, it's a lot of tedious work. I did my own, places here quoted me 400-450. If the shop is good that's a decent price.

In the interior archive here there is a post on headliner install tips, see if that helps you decide

Youtube

Install the windshield later. I've done some and they aren't too hard. The center listing wire is the only one that snaps into plastic clips. Are you missing the clips? The other bows only contact the body at the ends. My headliner is out now. I can get a pic of the clips, if you need it, or you can watch Youtube videos. They will show them.

Also, the latest issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines has a good article on this subject.

Dan

I removed my old headliner and after looking at the youtube link to the opgi install I believe I am missing something. I also got a set of bows from a 1971 skylark and that car has the center piece where the clips go was there but not on my 71 Monte Carlo.

14635746674_dbc260e80f_o.png

14451273639_f212c96c80_o.png

My Car

14138351989_80774d690f_c.jpg

14138401040_f07f8ce7ca_c.jpg

Can I install the headliner without that center piece?