Bronze tip fuel pump pushrod wear

dbreese

There was a big debate awhile back over on TC about f/p pushrods for billet core cams and what was better, bronze tip or carbon fiber composite. I can't comment on the composite rod as I have never used one but people had issues with the bronze tip mushrooming out and making it darn near impossible to remove. I was doing a little under hood work and for grins and giggles I pulled my fuel pump (billet Holley 170 with a Trend pushrod) and checked the pushrod tip for wear. This is what I found after approximately 2000 miles of driving. I run Joe Gibbs HR3 15w50 full synthetic and a K&N filter and change my oil every 3000 miles

IMG_0213_zpsd2c3a3c2.jpg

IMG_0212_zps2a0e5219.jpg

IMG_0211_zps27278f38.jpg

The tip showed no signs of uneven wear. The tip surface was shiny and the edges looked fine, no nicks or chips. I was able to verify the contact surface was flat by using a small bubble gage with the rod standing on a level surface.

The rod body had witness marks where it rides in bore but that is normal. The contact surface that rides on the fuel pump lever looked fine and the lever arm had the usual witness marks from where the rob end rides.

Will I have to replace the rod at some point, yes. The bronze is a sacrificial material just like the bronze distributor gears. I will keep an eye on the wear and let ya know if something changes.

Just a little FYI

David

That's good to hear Mike.

Yep. Kind of wondering if those that had problems with them mushrooming had excessive cam end play causing the f/p lobe eccentric to walk back and forth across the tip. Just a theory.

David

I made the mistake of putting a distributor in my white 70 that had a bronze gear. It lasted about 6 years and left me at my friends house on the way home from the Eastern Meet this year.

IT WAS EAT UP!!!, Jagged like, had to holding own ny a thread for miles and miles.

My original dist is still going strong in my 57 Chevy. Reason I used this one was it was already built with Petronix and new gear for my Big Block car, but I ended up going with an MSD instead.

I also didn't like the idea the last 6 years that gear was wearing circulating Metal through my original Engine!! Luckily when I drained the oil, I found no signs of metal, and haven't ever, I guess the filter did its job...

Jared bronze distributor gears are for billet steel roller cams only. They are a maintenance Item and need to be checked and replaced regularly. A steel distributor cam gear will wear the billet cam gear.