Rear End Gear Ratio

Guest 1970 James Byers

Guest 1970 James Byers

Thinking about putting 4 speed saginaw in my monte would I have to change gear in rear end or would it work with stock gear.Car has a 10/ bolt rear end think mite be a 2.73 gear .What do you guys think need some input.

You don't have to upgrade the rear-end but you'll want to eventually. I swapped out the TH350 for a Muncie M20 and love it! The rear gear upgrade is in my near future, I have a 12-bolt w/2.73 gear currently.

I remember having a 4 speed with a 2:73 rear end in a Monte. You have to ride the clutch a bit to get it moving but then it's all right. I remember enjoying going to 3rd on the highway to pass everyone very quickly. No question a lower ratio would be easier on the transmission and more fun out of the hole. Not sure I recommend a Saginaw though. I don't think they're meant to live behind a 350, although if you've left your 2 barrel motor alone it might be fine. I was very gentle with one in my Camaro with a 350 and it only lasted a few years. Something to think about anyway. One thing I'm sure of, the Monte will be a lot more fun with a 4 speed. JMO.

Monte's with 4 spd came with 3.31 gears. When I bought mine it had 3.55 gears I changed to 3.31. I think that is a good combination. I definitely think the 12 bolt is better, a little pricey considering if it has to be rebuilt but they are out there.

John S