I could use help picking a manual transmission

farmall

Good morning Guys.  I have a 72 MC with 350 / TH350, bench seat, column shifter.  My original plans with this car were to make it a BBC/ 6 speed, bucket seats, console car.  I am now leaning towards dropping the BBC (for now) idea but proceeding with the rest.  I feel like my first goal needs to be deciding what transmission I want.  I have been doing a little research and I am just not sure what I want.  Here are the things that are important to me:

1. Price.  I want to do this as economically as possible

2. shifter.  I want to use the factory console and make this look somewhat correct.

3. drivability.  I want to be able to drive this anywhere on the interstate as well as having fun running through the gears.

4.dependability.  Just in case I go to the BBC one day, I don't want it breaking down.  If I do go with the BBC, it will be a mild build.  I am not interested in racing or doing burnouts.  I would just want fat heads and a nice sound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

as far as I'm concerned there's only one choice, esp if you want to use a stock console and the possibility of going to a Big Block

the Tremec TKO 600, and one company offers a customized case so you won't have to cut the trans tunnel, and the TKO has different shifter towers for the correct placement for the console, don't skimp and go to a TKO 500, it has a very low 1st. gear (3.27) vs. a (2.87) in the TKO 600

the Tremec is pricey @ $3000 with the custom case, but it's the best bang for the buck in the long run

Silver Sport Transmission bought all Keisler's rights, follow this link http://shiftsst.com/

REMEMBER! if you  are going to use and stock clutch linkage, the frame mount for the Z bar is monte specfic!

All very accurate advice from Sam, if you must have a 6-speed. Like your car, TH350 w/bench seat, I had the same and converted to a Muncie M20 4-speed and kept the benchseat (for now). A rebuilt M20, Lakewood bellhousing, new RAM clutch and Hurst shifter, rebalanced driveshaft w/new U-joints, I spent almost $2K.

I to was flirting with the idea of going with a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission from an automatic.

Will be keeping an eye on to see how this goes, might follow in your footsteps on this.

All very accurate advice from Sam, if you must have a 6-speed. Like your car, TH350 w/bench seat, I had the same and converted to a Muncie M20 4-speed and kept the benchseat (for now). A rebuilt M20, Lakewood bellhousing, new RAM clutch and Hurst shifter, rebalanced driveshaft w/new U-joints, I spent almost $2K.

What kind of gear are you running behind that M20? How does it perform? I'm thinking of keeping my bench seat as well.

Well currently it's still the stock 2.73 non-posi, which is OK but I'll be converting 3.42 gears w/Yukon posi in the next few months. 1st gear of the muncie is the same as the TH350 if I recall. It's no tire burner yet but the 4 speed is a blast! I've installed new carpet since this photo............

post-732-0-99459500-1419453016_thumb.jpg

Well currently it's still the stock 2.73 non-posi, which is OK but I'll be converting 3.42 gears w/Yukon posi in the next few months. 1st gear of the muncie is the same as the TH350 if I recall. It's no tire burner yet but the 4 speed is a blast! I've installed new carpet since this photo............

Now that is COOL!! I'm gonna have to do that to mine...3 pedal heaven!

where you have to be careful is if you get a M21 or M22, there 1st gear is a 2.20, with that you'll need a pretty deep rear gear, at least a 3.73

I have a older 3550 Tremec that has a 3.27 first gear, that's why I'm hesitant to use it with my 3.73 rear gear 

where you have to be careful is if you get a M21 or M22, there 1st gear is a 2.20, with that you'll need a pretty deep rear gear, at least a 3.73

I have a older 3550 Tremec that has a 3.27 first gear, that's why I'm hesitant to use it with my 3.73 rear gear 

I just redid my rearend with a 3.73 and tru trac posi...are the M21 & M22 4 speeds or 5?

• 2 weeks later...

All right.  I am trying to find some way to get "3 pedal heaven" at a lower price.  I think the 6 speed just isn't going to work for me.  The new one is too much money (although a very nice setup) and using a T56 is going to put the shifter 4 inches back from the original shifter location.  So, I am looking at the 5 speed options.  Silver Sport is offering a 5 speed with the following ratios: 1-2.87, 2-1.89, 3-1.28, 4-1, 5-0.64.  I also have a friend who has one with the following ratios: 1-3.27, 2-1.97, 3-1.34, 4-1, 5-0.68.  My car has 2.73 gears.  Which do you think would be the better setup? 

the TKO 500, with the 2.73 rear gear, the 3.27 first gear will benefit you

now be aware that if you don't buy the customized case for the TKO, you "will!" have to cut out the trans tunnel to make room for the TKO!!!!!

again...I am considering selling my older Tremec 3550, it has the 3.27 first gear, you will have to modify your trans tunnel, I also have the steel hump for that, as a matter of fact, I have "everything!!!" including the driveshaft to do the conversion that I am considering selling that would save you a lot of $$$$$

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone.  I just wanted to discuss another idea I had.  I am now thinking about a Muncie.  Can they be built with custom gear ratios?  For instance, could 4th gear be set as an overdrive instead of a 1:1 ratio?  This might be foolish but don't know until I ask.