trans removed again

D.E

Had to remove 700r4 again yesterday for it would not shift right after valve body change for the 2nd time.Why don't the header mfg make it easy to get trans out without pulling 1 side header off.All it need is maybe an inch.Hope the overhaul guy gets it right this time.Have any of you used the TCI constant pressure valve body on a 700r4.Thanks

Yes, I have the tci valve body in mine. It works great. Make sure you get a good pump to go along with it as it puts a lot of stress on the pump over stock.

What is the trans doing as it may not be a valve body issue. 700s have other issues, the valve body is not usually an issue

It would never shift into OD first then put another valve body in and it shifted in 2nd at 5mph and OD in 15 thgo to stop and it would jump all around like it was going to hit the car in frt of me

for the early shifting, what gears are in the car, tire size,  and what is the governor in the trans from or set for?  the jumping around at a stop part, Does it have a lock up converter?

I have 373 posi, 245x70 tires and the guy I had build it had me wire 1 hot wire to plug and it locks up in 4th but to my thinking it has no way to unlock coming down.He has the trans  when I get it back I will go to Summit and get the proper constant pressure valve body and change it before I put it in

This guy has messed it up and I don't think he knows how to fix it as he has comebacks all the time and everyone around here says stay away for that shop.But he has been in business for 10 yrs or so.Hate to get messed up like that.But I bought it from him when I was setting up the frame before putting the body on.Thank for help when I get it back I will put a TCI valve body in for my sake not his and their lock up kit

• 2 weeks later...

The lock up on my 70 will lock in 4rth. the unlock function is wired to the brake switch which opens the power circuit . ITs a double pole brake switch . Like Robert I also have a toggle switch to prevent lock up .

Just got it back after 3 weeks to go through it again and he told me he wired the lockup inside the trans so I don't need a lockup kit.Really don't know what to believe now.Will put it in today or tomorrow and see.Next time will go with someone else.Have a bad time with this nut.Been trying to get it right since Nov 8.He says the old 700's are about worn out and the valve body are junk now.Thanks for insight on this mess.

• 1 month later...

After a month or so finely got it back in and now the shift into reverse is so hard you better hold the brake or you will hit something.Shifts in od ok I guess.When you get in od you can pull back in 3rd and the rpm goes up.About tired of messing with this trans.Next time will go the 4l60 route.Any suggestion on what is happening to this trans now.Thanks fo help

when you say "pull back in to 3rd" , Is that driving and getting on the throttle or manually pulling the shifter to 3rd ? or is it just sitting still in OD and pulling the shifter into D?

Check the line pressure.  It sounds like it may be high going into reverse.

The TV cable adjustment and mounting geometry is critical on these trannys. You really have to put a pressure gauge on the 700r to ensure that you get the pressure correct.  If it is off, you can toast that tranny within 1k miles.

I have a TPI on this car and have Lokar cables so you have to keep playing with adjustment.But to see if the rpm  goes up or down while driving I pull back to 3rd and engine rpm goes up so I think the converter is locking up.I talked to the trans guy yesterday and he said the has it go in OD with pressure not electrical lockup.Will not use him for the 35 I started.Thanks for info