calling all 700r4 experts

colonel

Took the Monte on the freeway and just as I shifted into O/D the car seemed to slow down and not really go into gear. Then seemed ok then not. Put it back into D and it drove normally. Stopped to check if something was visibly wrong like fluid coming out or something else was wrong and all appeard fine. THen took off again and toggled the Lock up on and off and it seemed to work then tried O/D again and instantly started slowing down again. So put it back in Drive and proceeded to turn around and head home but not before I heard a whining sound. Then it started to do the same thing in D and the whining sound got worse. Limped to a gas station and checked the fluid level and condition. Level was up but it smelled burnt to me. Color was pretty much normal. Towed it home and have been thinking about what could be the problem ever since.

Any suggestions??

• 3 months later...

Whining from an automatic is usually from the front pump cavitating, or a gear set wearing out badly. i'd bet you have a clogged filter or a front pump going bad. (using L3 or D instead of "(D)" increases line pressure substantialy)

700's use a vane type pump.. hrrm.

I took it back to the place that built it and essentially got it rebuilt again. The only things reused were the case, output shaft, valve body and the pan.

For some reason the sprag that normally turns one way and not the other locked both ways. This caused parts that normally don't move to move and turned springs into spaghetti, the band to dust, the drum into a fine metal shavings distribution unit and voila, one new tranny into a very used up tranny.

The more problems I have getting all the things to work on this car without breaking the more I realize why it takes so long to create a new car.

All those ideas are wonderfull on paper and will fit together fine but how long will it last. Testing a new car probably takes the most time to work all the bugs out.

I made a 700 do the exact same thing. Everything worked great in 1 through 3rd. As soon as I put it in 4th it went bye bye. We figured we had some check balls in the wron spot. Moved them to where they were supposed to be in the first place, but it was too late. Oh well, it was my fault. Big J