Z bar bracket

I have a 1970 Monte Carlo I was under it the other day just looking at things since I just got the car and noticed on the drivers side frame there is a mont on the frame that looks like a Z bar mount like a pivot ball would be in and pivot on.My car is a automatic no pedals and from what I can tell no alteration to the floor.Did these mounts get put on them all or is it possible I may have a odd ball?

Sorry it took me so long to reply computer problems. No it dont have the indicator on the dash it has a floor shifter and console in it though.I cant readt the tag on the firewall to get all the codes and stuff I was hoping to find out about this though.It also doesnt have a clutch pedal nor does it look like it ever did. Thanks

If it's on the side of the frame and not on the top, it's likely the bracket for the auto column shifter. Looks like your car might have been converted from column to floor (incl. the speedo) at one time...

Ok now, I'm asking , because I really don't know,.. but aren't the steering column and floor shifter connected to each other somehow so the ignition will lock the shifter?

That's exactly what it is. It is the backdrive assembly that locks the steering column when you put it in park. There should be one rod from the base of the steering column to the swivel bracket and a second rod from the swivel bracket to the shifter bracket on the trans.

Actually it's just the opposite. The car was a factory console car. That's the reason that they needed to "backdrive" the steering column, because there was no shifter on it to control the locking mechanism for the steering wheel. If the shifter is on the floor you are supposed to have the rods in place to lock the steering wheel when it is in park. On a factory console car, if you watch the column where the shifter would be, it rotates as the shifter is moved from park to reverse etc. On a floor mount stick shift, it only rotates going into and out of reverse.