Cable broken in Wiper motor

jayzi

Hi guys.

Today I've disconnected the not working washer pump and I also unscrewed the wiper motor (which was working). During this process the 3-pin connector became loose and unfortunately one of the cables broke. This seems to be a special cabel which is wraped around a small stick. And this white stick broke. I have no idea what's the meaning of this special construction.  But I'm wondering if I can replace it with a simple cable? I have attached a photo which shows the mishap.

Thanks

Joerg

post-1140-0-94757700-1429985770_thumb.jpg

Sam is correct, it is a resistor. the armatures pass through that single wire that is wrapped around the pressboard tube same material we used at school with a Bunson Burner that doesnt burn. The wire is spaced so the current passes through it but not close enough on the spool that the wire would melt together. The armature passes through there in a constant current rather than a pulse. When the tube and wire break its done. The tube is a non conductive and non burning material, armatures are different than amps or volts. The armature is the Power sort to speak, it travels to the pump relay. The 12 volts our cars runs on via the voltage regulator goes to the wiper motor and branches off through a condenser feeding the armature that passes through the resisitor.

Darren. 

Thanks a lot guys. That helps a lot understanding the function of this part. I have now disassembled it from the motor. See picture attached. It seems there's no replacement available anywhere.

I found out, that the resistor should have 20.6 Ohm according to this picture: http://willcoxcorvette.com/images/wiper%20motor%20resistor.JPG which seems to be valid for all 63-82 wiper motors.

So by calculating per the Ohm's law and the back-then standard 12 V it's probably a 20.6O/7W (0,58A) resistor. However with the 14 V today I would rather choose a 22O resistor with 9 or 10W.

Does it make sense?

Joerg

post-1140-0-04923000-1430031840_thumb.jpg