Tranny question

Hello all,

Just picked up a 72 Monte Carlo and the transmission seems to been some work. There is no reverse and the guy I bought it from said he had not done anything to it since he had it. I am wondering if I should just get the one I have rebuilt or go with something a little more durable. I think the one thats in there now is a 350(?) I talked to one guy that said a 400 would be better, but I don't know alot about trannys so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Kelvin

Oh, the motor is a 350 also. Plan on rebuilding that over the winter.

for a decent price you can have the 350 rebuilt by a shop. the 350 is good for around town driving.

if you want a different transmission, the 700r4 is a good option because it has overdrive and makes highway driving less costly. you can pick one up that has been built with better parts and therefore more reliable for starting around $1500. it is worth the money. i just got one myself.

check out 700r4.com for some options and info on transmissions.

Thanks Darknight,

The rebuild is more of what I am leaning towards. Got a guy that says he can rebuild what I have and include all the parts to make it more of a performance trans w/ shift kit for about $825, so I may give him a call today.

You will be happy with the Turbo350 built with a shift kit . The 400 is not a good choice without other work . The 400 has a higher first gear ratio which is not nice to a small block with the standard 2.73 axle . I found this out yrs back doing a turbo400 ( UPGRADE ) the first 70 Monte I had ( 300hp350 ) that car was never right with the 400 tranny . I sold the car and later learned the problems were all my own doing . The 70 I have now I have installed a 700R4 and I like it . The 700 has a lower first gear ratio then the t350. Now I want a lower axle ratio and let the OD do its magic at lowering the RPM for highway cruising . Looks like I am rambling here . I think with the t350 rebuilt you'll be fine.

mike

Thanks Mike.

I was supposed to get by the tranny shop this afternoon...Chicago rush hour traffic is not very understanding...so they closed before I could get there...first thing on my To Do List for Saturday.

Thanks for all your help guys...I know I'll be back soon with more questions.

Kelvin

A 350 Turbo is fine for a small block. A big block a 400 is a half to. I will say a 400 is a bigger, heavier, and TOUGHER tranny.

You can't beat a 400 for durability and toughness.

A 350 turbo is fine too though especially if you have a small block.

A small block with a lot of power though I'd recommend a 400.

Hope this helps.

A 350 Turbo is fine for a small block. A big block a 400 is a half to. I will say a 400 is a bigger, heavier, and TOUGHER tranny.

You can't beat a 400 for durability and toughness.

A 350 turbo is fine too though especially if you have a small block.

A small block with a lot of power though I'd recommend a 400.

Hope this helps.

I have broke a th350 too many times. going with a 700r4 now. hope its an improvement.

What about a 200R4? It is more of a direct bolt in compared with a TH350. They are descent trannys also when a few HARD parts are replaced and a good kit. The first to second gear ratio isn't as far apart as a 700R4.

A 700R4 is a great tranny also. It's sorta like a 400 Turbo with overdrive is what I would say.

Thing is they are super expensive. My friend with a 67' Camaro just had one put in his car. The builder provided the trans. With the Transmission included, Labor, parts to build, etc. It cost old Marshall $1600 eek !!!

The best thing is he got what he wanted and its done right. Its your car so do what you want with it.

The truth though is go with a 400 Turbo depending on how much power you're going to have. The 350 Turbo is fine for a milder engine with less power.

Or the 700R4 if you want overdrive. smile