help me choose a camshaft, 350

farmall

Hey guys.  I have a 1972 monte with stock 350, 4 barrel engine with 117000 miles.  It has a Muncie 4 speed and 3.08 gears in the rear.  The motor has not been tampered with, as far as I know.  I bought it from the original owner last year and it had been parked since 1988.  It has been smoking on start up so I decided to change the valve seals.  I tore it down last night and got to thinking that this would be a great time to change the cam.  My plans for the car are to drive it, a lot.  I am not interested in racing but would like to have a nice sound and, although I am really not concerned with more power, a few more horsies are welcome.  Would you have any recommendations on what specs I should look for in a cam?  This is a budget minded upgrade at this time.

I second that caution against Comp, Sam...  the last one that I put in a sbc lost two lobes within a year.

You can also give Chris a call at Straub Industries: 423-391-7774.  I would trust his recommendation in a heart-beat...   his solid and hydraulic flat cams are top-of-the-line, and only $250.   If the custom grinds are too expensive, then you can find a grind that mirrors the one that he recommends in a Lunati or Howards cam and know that it will be reliable for you.