RESTORERS - OK, I'll start this one - 71 Z20 resto

Z204me

OK, guys and gals...I thought I would start this one out, as this is where I am at with my 71 Z20 (SS454).

I am in the process of taking the body off the frame, and have the interior gutted, except for the windshield and back window.

Here's my question: How do I take the windshield and back window out? I have attempted to do it a few times, but have chickened out - and now I am to the point where this is all that is left to take off the body, and I would like to get them off before I remove the body from the frame.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

- Rodney

If you want to take them out get a can of glue sofener from a supply store and spray

it around the glass.I think 3M makes it. Then use piano wire and

a couple pairs of vise grips to cut through

the glue. Be carefull not to cut into the glass. And be VERY carefull not to cut your

antenna wire at the bottom of your windshield.

Rodney,

Mine are currently out, we used a cable out of a bicycle break or gear cable, took it the wire out of the houseing and stuck it through the old seal and pulled it all the way around the glass cutting the old seal then the "BACK" window lifted rite out. Un-fortunatly the front window was a different story, when I went to push it out after cutting the seal it busted. Oh well I had considered replaceing it anyway to get a nice clear view of the road without the 30 years of pits and small scratches on the old one. You can still get the front window from major glass companys, the one with the antenna seems like is about $200 installed or $130 for just the glass. Im not ready to put it back in yet, but I did check on the prices already.

Parrish 70 SC

• 2 weeks later...

I used a guitar string to cut the seal in my back glass with visegrips and two people one on inside and one out take your time and use one of the medium sized strings that is a spiraly wraped one not just a single wire it acts like a saw and cuts right through it and as i remember u want to keep the string as close to on the same plane as the glass as u can, in other words dont pull the string straight up perpindicular to the window, keep it close to level with the window and both ends ahead of where it is cutting so it looks like a V the back glass came out so easy i couldnt belive it. hope this helps