Access to heater/AC controls

dyermullet

71 monte

My blower motor doesn't work, I found the fuse was blown.  I changed the fuse out and I can hear electrical arcing when moving the selector.  It is also very rough to actuate.

How do I get access to the unit? 

I found Bruce has posted this picture:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110808817090254771768/HeaterCoreReplacement?feat=directlink#5337554503508271650

It looks like the assembly is bolted on to the back side of the dash.  Can I remove the dash pad to gain access to this?

Thanks

Is that the best way? I cant find anything in the factory manual showing is removal.

I have the factory service manual is that the best source for electrical scematics? The 1971 drawings are not very good. I work with electrical prints everyday, i think a guy doesn't would struggle to use those diagrams.

That is about the only way I know of. Unscrew all the screws holding the pad on and pull it out. There are the four screws over the speedometer and heater controls and then 2 more in the glove compartment.  It works best if you have a helper. I have heard of dash pad breaking just over where the heater controls are. I have taken mine off by myself but you really have to be careful.

I remember the shift lever being in the way and found it was better to shift it into Low, but apply the parking brake or block the wheels so the car doesn't roll away.

My picture is a NO A/C car. I believe some A/C duct work (center vent) may also be in the way, not sure since I don't have A/C.

Bruce