ENGINE - Black sooty water out the tail pipes?

70 MONTE

Put on new timming chain and oil leaked from gaskets so I pulled the engine to replace gaskets, retork heads, and clean and paint engine. Also put in a HEI(using 12V power), and Road Demon carb. Now the exaust has black, sooty water splattering out!!! No smoke just water adjusted air/fuel mixture screws as it says in demon manual but if I open the secondary screws at all it start to smoke. So I have to leave them completely shut which is kind of weird. Otherwise seems to run fine. Also I notice a very slight poping or missing sound from the passenger side exaust. Any ideas on my problems guys? .035 gap on plugs, 10-12 deg advance, vacumes fine, fuel pressures ok, not sure on compression.

Gas dryer probably won't stop the condensation, most older cars with good combustion " good ring seal and properly seated valves" will have condensation afterall most new cars do it when the weathers right don't they? As for the black soot the carb a little rich or the old one was.

Don

Sounds like you may have broken the seals on the headbolts, when you retorqued the heads; this is due to the sealant braking free from the threads. Remember guys, Chevys headbolts go into water, and when you install or retorque, you need to use G.M. compound sealer.

The loctite liquid pipe sealant in the tube works much better than the GM stuff ever did, and it doesn't throw off the torque readings like the GM stuff does. What 70 is talking about is water dripping from the tailpipe not steam. If he were having the coolant mix entering the combustion chamber it would come out the tailpipe as a sweet smelling white steam. An engine will not run with enough "water" entering the cylinder to cause it to come out as water, the engine would hydraulicly lockup first or simply blow the head gasket and leak externaly. All engines with a full exhaust system will condense water in the exhaust if it is properly tuned, hydrogen and oxygen are two of the many elements in combustion waste, since these make water thats were the water comes from. Thats why mufflers always rust out from the inside! Thats why alot of high end new cars have stainless steel exhaust now, the have to warranty part of the system for 5 yrs or 50,000 miles its cheaper for them in the long run.

Don

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rice Racing1:
The loctite liquid pipe sealant in the tube works much better than the GM stuff ever did, and it doesn't throw off the torque readings like the GM stuff does. What 70 is talking about is water dripping from the tailpipe not steam. If he were having the coolant mix entering the combustion chamber it would come out the tailpipe as a sweet smelling white steam. An engine will not run with enough "water" entering the cylinder to cause it to come out as water, the engine would hydraulicly lockup first or simply blow the head gasket and leak externaly. All engines with a full exhaust system will condense water in the exhaust if it is properly tuned, hydrogen and oxygen are two of the many elements in combustion waste, since these make water thats were the water comes from. Thats why mufflers always rust out from the inside! Thats why alot of high end new cars have stainless steel exhaust now, the have to warranty part of the system for 5 yrs or 50,000 miles its cheaper for them in the long run.
Don
</font>

Damn, you guys are sharp!!!
I love this board!!!
Keep up the excellent work!!!
Good Luck!!!

------------------
Best Regards,
Ben

http://thenunz69.tripod.com/

Fact is, when you burn a gallon of gasoline, you get more than a gallon of water in return!

I've owned the Monte since 1992 and it never spit this much water out and its really black to. I have to put cardboard under the tips when I start it and let it warm up, so it dosn't stain the driveway black now. Even after driving it around and I come home and it's still spiting water out. If I'm running rich wont it smoke not blow sooty water? If it is rich do I have to buy an air/fuel ratio gauge?

The soot is in the pipes maybe it's from the previous carb and or tune up. It may have so much soot built up it may take a very long time to clean out. You could try bumping the timing up a couple more deg to "heat up the exh" this may cut down on the amount of condensation.

Don