ENGINE - Deck Clearance

The machine shop I'm dealing with recomended I not go with "0" piston clearance, but go "5 in the hole" instead. Does that mean .05 inch deck clearance?

[This message has been edited by Donnymo (edited 06-22-2002).]

I'm guessing they mean .005 in the hole.

five thou.

Why would they make such a deal over five thousanths? Not much of an ammount to make a difference, I would think.

I asked my shop to do mine at zero, and after assembly it was found to be at .015 in the hole. That was ok, because I was able to set my quench height with a thinner head gasket.

grantite i am by far no engine expert they ussually recomend the 5 thousanths of an inch to allow for valve clearance incase of valve float or a high lift or duration camshaft. as long as nothing collides your good just remember that at high rpm "6000" so things will happen like valve bounce and float. better to be safe than sorry

just my 2 cents

alex

Don't let them talk you into leaving it down in the hole any at all, it screws up the quench and combustion efficency! valve to piston clearence is better sloved by fly cutting the valve pockets deeper not leaving extra deck. Optimal deck for good quench and power output is .035" to .038" obtained by the head gasket thickness. The factory left them .025 down because they used a .011" steel shim gasket for many years.

Don