Torque converter choice

overdrive

I need to replace my stock converter in the SS and I've been doing some searching. I'm leaning toward a custom built one made by Freak Show Performance. They have great reviews from alot of racers and the cost is reasonable at $320 delivered to my door. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Dan

I've heard good things about Freak Show, but have no experience.

I put a Coan Racing 2400-2600 in my SS. Linked below:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&Ntk=all&Jnar=0&itemPerPage=60&Ne=1%2B2%2B3%2B13%2B1147708&searchTerm=206-COA-20211-4

I caught it when it was on sale & paid $330. Very happy with it & highly recommended. I worked with Coan for a recommendation (to match my combination), then ordered through Jegs.

I don't think you'll go wrong either way. Just be sure to match stall with engine mods. 

Scott

Freakshow converters have a good reputation among the drag racing crowd as well as the weekend warriors and rodders. They  also have good tech support. 

That being said I have had very good luck with Coan converters. I ran their Pro Street converter, as Scott mentioned above, behind a mild 385 with a  th350 and 3.73 gears. It was a great converter for the price and worked well that combo.  I have always worked with Craig at Coan and he has always come through.

When I stepped up to a new mill I went with a custom Coan Max performance 10". I was able to provide them with all the info they needed along with a engine dyno sheet. They got it right where it needed to be based on what the car was going to be used for. Flash stalls at 4900 rpm but feels totally stock on the street and down the highway. I run a B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Never an issue with trans heat. The converter can be re-stalled to fit any engine drivetrain setup and is totally rebuildable. Pricey, but Craig said it would be the last converter I would ever need. I have had it in the car for 5 years and it rocks.

I don't think you could go wrong with either company.

David

• 1 month later...

Like you, I wanted to stay at 2400-2500 (near stock) stall... as I'm pushing a 3980lb car with 640 lbs ft of torque through a 4L80E.  Michael at Freakshow built a lock-up for me, and delivered it to my doorstep from Texas to California in four days. For less than $200. 

​I think that it is safe to assume that their prices have probably gone up a bit over the last eighteen months with the surge in popularity after supplying quite a few of the cars on Street Outlaws without a failure. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the replies. I gave Michael at Freakshow all the specs he needed for my car and he built my converter. I got it several weeks ago, but it'll be awhile before I can test it.

Dan