Third brake light

Paul Bell

I searched this section back to 2012.....

As there are many drivers on the road today that grew up and got their licenses after 1986, they're used to seeing a third brake light ahead of them.

The wiring is easy, just come off the brake light switch.

I'm thinking of a fixture I can put magnets in. Stick it on the forward edge of the deck lid. Removable & unpluggable when I want it to disappear.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking of this one from Billet Specialties because that's the idea, something in a housing that'll sit on the trunk lid.

I'd mill smooth the mounting bracket stuff and paint the housing to match the car (of course)

light1_zps8easachn.jpg

Paul I picked up this unit from National Parts Depot backwindow001-1.jpg its a three piece plastic kit which mounts inside the car and sits on the factory package tray. It does mount the 6x9 speakers high but from the rear of the car they look like head rest for the back seat. The third brake light is an LED type bulb and it tied into my new harness that has the third brake light system in it. The panels come in black and for be painted to match. If you don't want all three you can buy just the third brake light by its self and mount it to the stock tray.

Isnt there something you have to do so your third brake light doesn't flash with one of the turn indicators? I had the problem with my S10 but don't recall the fix for it as I wound up scrapping the idea.

That is pretty nice but I want to be able to remove it.

I'm pretty sure I can come off the brake switch directly to feed a light, it'll be LED's so the draw will be minimal. The interior is out so it's easy to run a wire through.