Instrument lights

Gavin

When you turn the lightknob the instrumentlights should dim or brighten. Well, mine haven't done so since I bought my Monte. I replaced the whole lightunit and saw that on the old one some sort of spring was missing, so yes, it's broken. BUT... the new one still doesn't have any effect. What could be wrong then?

Gavin

Gavin, I'm going out on a limb here an take a wild guess. You did'nt mention a grounding strap that goes to the light switch. Is it there? It should be pretty long and go from the switch to a metal mounting tab under the dash.I went down to look at mine to make sure but I could'nt see past the air duct. Kepp in mind it's just a guess.

Jon.

The spring thing (rheostat) in headlight switch is a variable resistor. This allows the dimming of dash lights. In all, yep all, of my old cars it doesn't work. One semi-solution is to place a bypass wire (jumping over spring thing) to send full voltage to dash lights. This semi-solution allows dash lights to be at full brightness or off. Ed

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You did'nt mention a grounding strap that goes to the light switch. Is it there?
Jon.[/b]</font>

Hmm, there was no ground on the unit. But should it be there? That could explain the malfunction.

Ed, thanks for the tip, but it's dimming or nothing :-)

Like I said I tried to check out my memory to make sure I'm not misleading you. I remember a solid metal piece that I took as a grounding strap on a dash I had out one time. I've seen it on more than one dash and if I remember right, you had to slide the light switch through the loop on one end and the other went to a metal mounting tab that secured the dash when in the car. I tried to look at mine but there was to much stuff in the way. Maybe some one else can verify or correct me on this.

Jon.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wallaby:
Maybe I missed something, but do the dash lights come on at all? There is a fuse for panel lamps.</font>

Yes, they do.

Ok lets go back and visit Ed's post. Is this a direct replacement switch? For this application? There are light switches that do not have the rheostat for dimming your dash lights. Maybe you have the wrong switch? Will the lights go out at all? Does the dome light turn on when turning the knob all the way to the right? Where did you get the switch? Ed may be correct on this. The switch may just be defective. If all else fails return it and tell them it does'nt work properly.

Jon.

I'd tell you how to check the switch If I knew how but I don't. I know theres a way you can check these with a meter to see if it's functioning propperly. Other than that all I can say is try a new one. New parts can be defective, even Delco parts.

Jon.

I would buy a cheap test light or use a multi meter and hook it up to the fuse for the lights and try to dim and brighten them by the switch. Some one may have by passed the lights and wired them direct. It may not solve your problem but maybe shed some light on the problem.

------------------

My 1970 Monte Restore Pages

site1100.jpg

logo_org_pub.gifLLOYD@FIRSTGENERATIONMONTECARLO.COM logo_org_pub.gif